I'm Highly Interested in Going Pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
I've been brewing for just around 3 years, the process is relatively routine by now. I've served my beer for a large office filled of co workers on multiple occasions and received high praise. I'm def interested in pursuing a side career.

Problem: I have no idea how the professional equipment works and getting in to a small brewery just to learn, help, and take notes is next to impossible.

My thought is to find someone who has that pro equipment experience and team up. I have ideas and I'm also a Graphic Designer. That's the big piece of the puzzle I'd bring to the table. I'd have marketing and brand covered.

The other problem and final point question, does anyone know of a forum dedicated to professional Brewers that would be good to start looking for people interested in the same goal..just looking for the right person in the area?

Not sure where you're at, but helping out at a small brewery is anything but impossible. You just have to ask around. I let people join us at the brewery during brew sessions quite often.

Probrewer.com is a great website filled with useful people and useful information, you should check it out.

Also, short of some minor stuff, brewing at a brewery isn't all that different from home brewing. I actually find it easier to hit my numbers every single batch when I'm at work. Of course I don't drink while I brew at work... Hahaha

Ah!! Yes. Probrewer.com is the website I've heard of but couldn't remember. I've reached out to a few local places and offered to work for free and sign any waivers just to get the experience but no luck. Guess I'll have to try harder.

Good to know about the equipment. I've gotten to the point I can almost brew drunk and still come out with great results.

I second Probrewer.com, but also the AHA forum. They have a 'Going Pro' section that has some useful threads. Also this forum(HBT) has 2 long threads by 'Muddycreek Brewing' that detail his ordeals from concept through the 1st year, and counting. Definitely worth spending the hours reading it. And take notes.
In addition to the forums, there are two good books that have helped me- which I've left at work and don't have the names and authors at my fingertips. I'll post another addition tomorrow with details.
I'm in the early planning stages for opening a brewpub in Maine, so depending on where you are from, that probably won't help you. One other thing I've been doing is taking 'research trips' to every microbrewery and brewpub in a 50 mile radius (there are only 10), and talking to owners, brewers, and anyone else who will talk to me (during the slower off-hours bartenders are incredibly helpful). Also just checking things out, getting ideas of what works well, and more importantly what doesn't work. So far, I've accumulated 10 typed pages of notes. And counting.........
Good Luck Brother! :mug:

Not sure where you're at, but helping out at a small brewery is anything but impossible. You just have to ask around. I let people join us at the brewery during brew sessions quite often.

Probrewer.com is a great website filled with useful people and useful information, you should check it out.

Also, short of some minor stuff, brewing at a brewery isn't all that different from home brewing. I actually find it easier to hit my numbers every single batch when I'm at work. Of course I don't drink while I brew at work... Hahaha

Which brewery do you work at?

BRB in Middletown. It's a brewery on an herb farm in the mountains near Front Royal.

Until tomorrow, one main thing that I've found in my research: Make sure your 'best friend' in the planning stages is a money bags. Setting up a brewpub or micro is an expensive process. For a 7-10 bbl system plan on $250-500k. That includes getting property and remodeling, plus equipment and supplies, but does not include the restaurant side. Also the timeline from signing a lease to pouring your 1st pint is in the range from 9 months- 15 months.
Somewhat discouraging.

Here are the 2 books I found useful:
1. 'The Brewers Association's Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery' by Dick Cantwell. If you pick only 1 book to read, this is the one. Covers everything from the early planning stage through finance and legal to equipment and technical to marketing and sales. Very easy reading, and each chapter ends with a summary. Definitely worth getting if you're serious.
2. 'Brewery Operations Manual- 3 steps to Open and Run a Successful Brewery' by Tom Hennessy. A very experienced brewer and entrepreneur. His emphasis is on doing things cheaply by getting used equipment, doing most of the remodeling and setup yourself, self-financing, and starting small. Over 1/2 the book is about the business side, which is helpful, and he does have a lot of useful tips.

I've always wanted to try your stuff! Maybe I could stop by and visit with you guys sometime?

Aren't you in NoVA? If so, reach out, in person, to Starr Hill, Lickinghole Creek, Hardywood, etc. Stay away from Devil's Backbone now as they're owned by AB now. Breweries all around are often offering up opportunities for volunteers. You will clean, but you'll be close to the process.

Aren't you in NoVA? If so, reach out, in person, to Starr Hill, Lickinghole Creek, Hardywood, etc. Stay away from Devil's Backbone now as they're owned by AB now. Breweries all around are often offering up opportunities for volunteers. You will clean, but you'll be close to the process.

I am in NoVA. I've reached out to Port City, Beltway Brewing (contract brewer) and Aslin. No go's so far. I'll have to double check with lickinghole but I think Hardywood is in Richmond. And yes, screw DB. Sell outs..

I'm in Springfield btw!

Awesome dude! I am a brewer at Adroit. Our 10bbl arrived in the port of Baltimore this morning.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I heart Adroit. I've been hoping they'd distribute closer to DC for a year now. Jesus those brews are so rich.

Here are the 2 books I found useful:
1. 'The Brewers Association's Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery' by Dick Cantwell. If you pick only 1 book to read, this is the one. Covers everything from the early planning stage through finance and legal to equipment and technical to marketing and sales. Very easy reading, and each chapter ends with a summary. Definitely worth getting if you're serious.
2. 'Brewery Operations Manual- 3 steps to Open and Run a Successful Brewery' by Tom Hennessy. A very experienced brewer and entrepreneur. His emphasis is on doing things cheaply by getting used equipment, doing most of the remodeling and setup yourself, self-financing, and starting small. Over 1/2 the book is about the business side, which is helpful, and he does have a lot of useful tips.

Headed to the beach in August. Gotta get some reading material. Sounds like I found it!

Back