I'm heading to St. Louis!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, Schlafly's is a must. Other microbreweries i'd recommend would be Urban Chestnut & 6-Row. Square One and the Stable are small breweries with good food. Oh, and itap is a great local bar with over 500 beers.

Schlafly's Tap Room for sure.

Also I know it's "overrated" and commercial, but touring the Anheuser Busch brewery is pretty cool (and the Clydesdale Horses are awesome).

Q: What does Busch stand for in Busch beer?
A: Brewed Under Six Clydesdale Horses :p

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive (guessing you'll be staying down town), I recommend heading out to Main St in St. Charles, (i-70 west across the river to 5th st, follow the signs from there) there is a small brewery there called TrailHead, they have pretty good beer but really good food, however right next door to them is a little restaurant / pub called The Old Millstream. This place is a Diamond in the rough and definitely my favorite bar, they have got a beer selection that is truly fantastic, outside seating in a nature environment, a small but elegant food menu, you can pretty much catch my wife and I up there at least once every 2 weeks :)

If you go to Millstream, I definitely recommend ordering their cheese and sausage plate and team it up with a Schlafly Special Release American IPA.

however right next door to them is a little restaurant / pub called The Old Millstream. This place is a Diamond in the rough

Completely agree, I'm not a fan of most of trailheads beer though. But I love Millstream!!

Breweries:
Urban Chestnut (imo, one of the most exciting new breweries in the country)
Schlafly (Taproom and bottleworks)
Six Row

Beer Bars
33 Wine
iTap (Soulard or Chesterfield)
Stable

Restaurants with good draught beer
Good Pie
The Bridge

Lots of other places, too many to hit in even a week, but these are the best imo.

On a somewhat beer related note, if you have family with you stop by Grant's Farm. It is a historic site with animals and a petting farm then a free beer garden at the end. Say what you want but on a hot STL summer day a cold Bud can hit the spot.

Regardless of what you think of their products, you HAVE to take the Anheuser-Busch brewery tour. The scale of the operation, not to mention the copper-plated mash tuns, is just plain awe inspiring.

Plus, you'll be amazed at the "experimental" beers in their tasting room that are far superior to their mass products but will never see the light of day. They could make good beer if they wanted to, it just doesn't sell as well!

In addition to all the above, stop by The Scottish Arms for a good pub experience, good food, and one of the best scotch selections in the US.

A must is Urban Chestnut Brewing Company- gotta try their Hopfen it's an IPA with German hops(sounded terrible to me but is now on my top 10 list) plus the atmosphere is really relaxed.

Also if you want some good eats hit up Iron Barley you can't go wrong with anything there.

Just don't let one of the locals talk you into going to Roper's Ribs. You have been warned.

Just outside of St. Louis, but always worth the trip: http://fasteddiesbonair.com/fr_home.cfm

Awesome cheap food, cold beer, great place to grab lunch. No kiddies allowed though even with an adult, 21+ only.

**Edit** I've never been to Roper's, lived here my whole life. Sounds though like you had some $hitty BBQ. I have been to Pappy's Smokehouse after seeing it appear on Man V.S. Food. That place was actually pretty good, the owner is a nice guy as well. You'll be sitting there eating and he'll just come right up and talk to you, busting tables, clear your plates, no ego whatsoever.

Back