I'm headin to Philly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbama

Reaction score
I'll be south - by the airport. Where are some good taprooms/brewpubs with good food in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I went to Philly last year for the NHC. I don't know what's by the airport, but it's about a $14 shuttle ride to downtown. Downtown, there is Monk's which is a can't miss place. I also went to many other places that will come up on a quick search, but I think "the" place to go for great beer is Monk's.

While there, I ate dinner and had a Russian River Damnation with my fresh mussels, followed by a Pliny the Elder that was just tapped.

It's walking distance from there to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, and on the same street, a Belgian bar with great beer (can't remember the name) and a brewpub on the left (beer there was "meh" at best).

I'll be south - by the airport. Where are some good taprooms/brewpubs with good food in the area?

Go just a little north to the Italian Market or Center City for some excellent bars. Off the top of my head Monks, Devil's Den, and Good God are all places I've stomped at and love.

Thanks folks.

Well I work at the airport, and have been to quite a few places in the city, here's what I can think of off hand.

South Philly Tap Room. Been there one afternoon a few years ago after work, probably before a concert or a game. Small, I think we sat outside curbside. Typical south Philly feel, which is cool, but not the first place I'd go in the city.

Monk Belgian Cafe. 16th and Spruce, downtown and close to Rittenhouse Square. One of the premier places in the city, certainly a fixture in the beer scene. Good food, great beer. Almost always have La Chouffe and Chimay and a ton of other greats on tap. Two bars (one in front and one in the back), very cool vibe in both rooms. Some people swear by the mussels, me...meh. Burgers are good.

I believe Yooper might have been refering to Eulogy above. Eulogy Belgian Cafe is a very good Belgian beer joint in Old City Philadelphia (the part of town that was the backdrop for our founding fathers). I love this place, and always try to drop in here when I'm in the area. Similar to Monks, Eulogy has fairly typical belgian beer cafe food, but the beer is why you stop here. There's a very cramped downstairs and a equally cramped upstairs with an extra room. This is walking distance from Market street, Tin Alley (cool acoustic music room), and lots of interesting restaurants. BTW, the Triumph Brewing Co is probably the brewpub Yooper refered to that's nearby; been there...avoid.

Near the Art Museum and the Franklin Institute is The Bishops Collar. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I've been a few times. Great beer menu, good to very good food menu. Again close enough to the museum and Franklin for it to be a stop before/during/after those places. Plus it's right down the street from Eastern State Penitentary, a cool old prison (featured in the movie 12 Monkeys)

Moving east along Spring Garden st is the Prohibition Taproom. Never been, but I've heard great things about it. Maybe I'll head there today after work...I see they have Nugget Nectar on tap :rockin:

Moving east head to the Northern Liberties/Fishtown area. This is probably what Hoppyhippo is refering to. Urban Hipster feel to this area, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I love Fishtown, and I'm old (relatively). I'll just touch on a few, but everytime I am in this area I see another corner bar that "probably" would be a cool place to drop in on.

Kraftwork Bar
Johnny Brendas
Barcade. great beer, old school video games...
Frankford Hall. Never been in here, there's always a line.
Fette Sau BBQ. Right next door to Frankford Hall is this BBQ joint. Fantastic Bourbon menu, and always a few great and interesting brews. The food is very good, but not the best BBQ I've had. Usually a line.

Further up in Fishtown is the Memphis Taproom. I love this place, and although it's kind of up and away from the other stuff in No. Liberties it's worth the trip. Beer garden next door, very good food and great beer. The owners have a few other joints in town, maybe I'll fish them up and post them later.

Ok this should get you started. Enjoy Philly, it's really a great city. Lots of arts (the Philidelphia Orchestra is one of the top 6 in the world, that's no ****), lots of theatre productions always in town (Book of Mormon opens very soon for a summer run). Phillies, Eagles, 76ers, every major rock and country tour comes through this town. If you can't find something to do...you just ain't lookin'!

Oh yeah, I didn't even mention Manayunk or the University City area...

Great info- yes, it's Eulogy which is a quick walk from Independence Hall and great beer and mussels. And it WAS Triumph across the street that had not-too-good beer. I had one, and left, but others seemed to be enjoying it.

There is another place with an English feel, a bit south (3-4 blocks?) of the Marriot and maybe a block west, and they have good food and good brew. I wish I remembered the name- but I'm sure someone else will. It was VERY crowded when I was there, but there was still a place to sit and eat and drink a beer. I would know the name if I heard it.

Great info- yes, it's Eulogy which is a quick walk from Independence Hall and great beer and mussels. And it WAS Triumph across the street that had not-too-good beer. I had one, and left, but others seemed to be enjoying it.

There is another place with an English feel, a bit south (3-4 blocks?) of the Marriot and maybe a block west, and they have good food and good brew. I wish I remembered the name- but I'm sure someone else will. It was VERY crowded when I was there, but there was still a place to sit and eat and drink a beer. I would know the name if I heard it.

Maybe McGillins Ale House? If so I've never been, but the truth is just about every block in this city there's somewhere to poke your head in for a beer.

While I'm at it...

Ressurection Ale House. Not yet been, from the same folks that bring us Memphis Taproom. Looking for a reason, any reason to go here...

Local 44. Simply love this place, a perfect place to drop in on your way to the Tower Theatre. Great brews, very good food. From the same folks that bring your Memphis Taproom and Resurrection Ale House. located west of the Schuylkill river in the Spruce Hill area, near what I think is UPenn.

Manayunk Brewing Co. Although not the best joint on my list this one ends up being one of my favorites. I ride road bikes during the summer and Manayunk is the hilly part of Philly (among other areas). After a particularly tough route we end up rolling through Manayunk and drop in here. Located on the banks of the Schuylkill river but high above the river, the backside of the building has lots of outdoor seat and a cool Tiki style bar. A perfect place to pull up dripping with sweat in a bike kit. Nothing like hammering down a Dreamin IIPA after 30 grueling miles of fun. :fro:

Back