Im gonna "have" to clear this one...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
Long story short, broke tap on pot, ended up dumping entire boil minus a little hop sludge into fermenter, this included the most nasty cold break i've seen in 3 years of brewing.

Ive never used Gelatin before, Im gonna have to this time I think.

So got it sitting next to me, high krauzen after 12 hours of sitting there, but I need to know a few things.

If I use Gelatin im going to do it after 1 week fermenting, and before a light dry hop and also oak chips in this case.

Will this affect my bottle carb? should I rehydrate a pack of yeast and dump it in day before bottling? any tips.

Got about 5 or 6 days to accumulate info ;)

P.s.

Stuck unsanitised hand over hole and splashed a good half leter through my fingers before I hap hazardly dumped it all in the bucket. Should be funny.

people regularly dump the entire brew kettle into the fermentor. I wouldn't worry about it. It will settle out.

wow, I popped the first post from Kelly ;)

Welcome.

Also note btw, I usually tap of a spigot and leave "most" of the gunk behind and have "never" used anything to clarify, and only had 1 unclear beer (ironically the best).

The break in this looked like curdled milk and was at least 10 cm thick on the top of the pot when i had it in the sink, I obviously did something strange, frist time I used brewfirm DME, other than that...no idea....

Eitherway Im not so comfortable letting it just settle out.

It will be fine. It will all settle out. If you use gelatin after only one week, I'd say you run the risk of having an underattenuated beer. Gelatin is usually a secondary thing.

Given time, it will settle out. You can go ahead and use gelatin, which folks have done without hurting their bottle carbing (you really don't need a lot of yeast left in suspension to carb up the beer), so if that's your concern you should be fine. Just know that your beer's fine either way.

I dump the whole kettle though a kitchen strainer into my fermenter on ever brew I do. The strainer stops the big pieces of hop but lets the particles and all the break material through. 3 weeks in primary and it's nicely clear.

Leave it in the fermenter longer. I always dump my entire BK into the fermenter and my beers turn out clear, even when I forget whirlfloc.

Oki dokey, I usually give it 3 weeks, Ill give it 4 and presume its ok (unless of course it got infected from my grubby mits) ;)

Back