I'm going broke here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to my local beer store today and picked up a 6er of Ballast Point Skulpin. It was $15. I know hops are expensive, and I know it's really good beer (I'm enjoying one now), but is it $2.50 a bottle good?

It's not just them. I'm paying $11-12 for a four pack of Great Lakes and I live a few hours from the brewery. A few weeks back I paid $20 for a bomber of Rogue XS IIPA. Yikes!!

When did this happen? I remember the good ole days when I'd ***** about a $7 6er. Wow - I sound like my Dad.:D

Its because they can bro. I just get the BIG EYE from ballast point. Still a great IPA for half the price. I will never buy sculpin again because it isnt a 15 dollar 6-pack beer like they claim..... It is so boring for 2.50 a can.... Never again.....

It hurts to pay a lot for beer, IF you taste it and say, "meh, I could do better"! If it's a beer I sample and say, "Ooooooooh!" then I pretend I forgot how much it cost me.

Shoot,I live about an hour-hour & a half from Great Lakes & it's a luxury item to me,beergasms not withstanding.

I love anything made by Great Lakes. It annoys me that they've done the old 4-pack switcheroo though. As long as I don't do the math on the price per bottle I can handle it. I'm a real sucker for Nosferatu though. I'll probably spend a good chunk of my kid's college money to stock up when that comes out in a few weeks. :D

This is a good approach. I'll try to adopt it going forward.

Well, you are the one that brought up Nosferatu! That beer on tap is like a beergasm (thanks unionrdr for that great word!) in your mouth.

I'm way too far away to get it on tap (and I don't visit Ohio any more) but I will never forget the first time I had that on tap, or the first time I had Lake Erie Monster on tap. I probably made xxx rated sounds at the bar.

Geez. I used to complain about paying $10 a case..... But that was when I was drinking swill and the aim was to get a buzz.......

Now I prefer my own brews and check out some mid priced craft brews on occasion for comparison. I get ideas from craft brews, but what I brew is pretty much as good.

Yup, I see sculpin (here in San Diego) for $15 a sculpin. I'll stick with getting it at the bar every once in awhile instead

Well, you are the one that brought up Nosferatu! That beer on tap is like a beergasm (thanks unionrdr for that great word!) in your mouth.

I'm way too far away to get it on tap (and I don't visit Ohio any more) but I will never forget the first time I had that on tap, or the first time I had Lake Erie Monster on tap. I probably made xxx rated sounds at the bar.

Oh - I forgot about Lake Erie Monster. Have to wait 9 more months for that to come out again.:mad:

Geez. I used to complain about paying $10 a case..... But that was when I was drinking swill and the aim was to get a buzz.......

Now I prefer my own brews and check out some mid priced craft brews on occasion for comparison. I get ideas from craft brews, but what I brew is pretty much as good.

I take the same approach. That's what makes the sticker shock so bad. I know what it costs to make it now.

Back