I'm frusrated. I'm just going to go for it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenate

Reaction score
I have a beer fridge. I have an Octoberfest all grains ingredient kit. I do not have a controller and i am sick of reading conflicting methods on how to best ferment larger.

I decided to just do it. I don't have a controller and I'm not investing In one.
Is rather just sell the grain build and yeast pack for a small loss and just forget larger.
I'm not sure if I even want to waste ny time brewing it.

Go for it...the worst that can happen is you'll learn something. It'll probably turn out delicious.

Just ferment in a swamp cooler with ice, and then lager in your fridge. Keeping the ferment to 50 degrees should be easy this time of year.

Just go for it, ferment in the basement or anyplace cool (50 or less) and let it sit 40 to 60 days. Then bottle and rest 7 days in the house, then put it in the fridge for 28 days or mare. It will be great!

What's the problem? Temps in your area are probably close to ideal for initial fermentation. Swamp cooler it to help stabilize the temp for the first 4-6 weeks, then warm up for a D-rest for a few days.

Then place in fridge without a controller for 4-6 or more weeks.

I waited until I had a temp controller to do my first lager, but I don't see why now. The normal range for a fridge should be close enough.

I have a beer fridge. I have an Octoberfest all grains ingredient kit. I do not have a controller and i am sick of reading conflicting methods on how to best ferment larger.

I decided to just do it. I don't have a controller and I'm not investing In one.
Is rather just sell the grain build and yeast pack for a small loss and just forget larger.
I'm not sure if I even want to waste ny time brewing it.

The world of lager brewers will get by without you.

I'm I firm believer in reading less and experimenting more (well, after you have the basics down anyway). :)

osagedr said:
The world of lager brewers will get by without you.

The world of lager brewers will only make it so far without me. Remember, the fewer lager brewers the fewer lager yeast you will find on shelves.

I haven't brewed it yet. I may just throw it away. Lol. Just kidding.
I'll get to it soon.

My friend made that Baltic Porter from NB. I dont think he knew it was a lager yeast. I call it Bananas Porter and it will give you a flushed face. My buddy thinks its great. I haven't the heart to tell him. Bananas.

I've used california common lager yeast and the saf lager at cool room temps/swamp cool with good results for a steam style lager. a bit closer to ale than lager but both close to anchor steam. use cool temps on us-05 or notty for an ale sub.

hey i'm using a wine cooler and it works great. i don't see why the beer frig wouldn't work out. i made a pilsner and lagered it in the cooler. it is still a few weeks away from being conditioned in the bottles, but it tasted great when i got a mouth full of it out of the secondary fermenter. at the moment i have a wheat beer fermenting at 65 degrees. i will let it sit in the primary for a month, then i'll rack it into a secondary for a few days, then i will turn the wine cooler down to around 40 degrees and cold crash it for a few days. then i'll warm it back upto 65 degrees for a few days. then i'll bottle it. then i will repeat this process with another wheat beer. then repeat it again with another beer. but lagers and pilsners i follow the tempatures. i normally go with the lowest temp the yeast maker calls for and allow plenty of time for fermentation.

i do extra brews and normally brewers best kits. so far every one of them have a great beer. why change what is working?

MrManifesto said:
i got a temp controller for like $45 off amazon. pretty worth it, don't see why you'd pass one up.

Was it digital?
If not then it's a like the same thing as the thermostat on my beer fridge I imagine.
I read is hard to get an exact temp with the dial regulator.

I guess my main concerns are:

1. What temperatures do I stay clear of at all costs?

2. How many stages are there to the fermentation and lagering?

3. How long is each stage?

4. The starter must be fermented at what temp for how long?

5. What temp is too low during which stage?

I always thought lagering was just cold fermentation. I understand there must be a stage when I want to warm-upthe yeast so they consume the off by-product.
But how long?
How long is too long?
There's also some differing opinion to the length of the fermentation and lagering.

Some things about brewing Lagers that you must do are temp control and pitching a large amount of a healthy yeast starter or enough dry yeast. If you are going to avoid either of those don't bother brewing a Lager. The lighter styles will throw the faults back in your face and say stick to tasty ales my American friend !

I rarely drink or brew Lagers but I did have an Ayinger Oktoberfest tonight and it has inspired me to brew a Lager for a long chill until next fall. Followed it up by drinking a hoppy IRA which had a hell of a lot more flavor, but the challenge of the Lager still makes me do one every year.

Not all yeasts throw off the problems that require a D rest and with proper pitching and temp controls you might just avoid all those issues. Really does take practice, patience and a bit o luck sometimes. As to the length of fermentation, it always takes as long as needed until it's done. Nobody can give you a firm time line on that.

fermenate said:
Was it digital?
If not then it's a like the same thing as the thermostat on my beer fridge I imagine.
I read is hard to get an exact temp with the dial regulator.

I guess my main concerns are:

1. What temperatures do I stay clear of at all costs?

2. How many stages are there to the fermentation and lagering?

3. How long is each stage?

4. The starter must be fermented at what temp for how long?

5. What temp is too low during which stage?

1) don't freeze it and don't let it get above 55.

2) there's primary at 45-50 degrees F, diacetyl rest (which is a movement of the lager from the cool fermentation chamber to regular room temp when you've reached ~75% of your terminal gravity...for simplicity sake say 1.020...for 48 hours. Then you secondary and lager as close to 32F as you can get for 2 months. Then keg or bottle (reyeasting can aid in carbing faster) as usual.

3) primary is 3 weeks or whenever you reach 75% attenuation. Diacetyl rest is 2-3 days. Secondary lagering is 2-3 months or more. Bottle or keg as usual. (as an alternative you can secondary in a keg)

4) make a step starter 1 liter at a time 3-4 days in a row. Do it in a carboy, it makes it easier. Ferment the starter at room temp for optimal growth. Make the starter as usual, then 24 hours later either decant spent beer and add the next liter of starter wort or just add it to the first liter in the carboy and repeat until you have the necessary yeast count (see mrmalty). Then cool the starter and decant the spent beer and leave it in your fermentation chamber until you add your CHILLED wort to the carboy. Then shake like your life depends on it or use o2 if you have it.

5) primary 40, d-rest 60, secondary 27 or whichever temp freezes your beer. Then bottle or keg as usual. I hope this helps.

I would grab some wlp029 german ale/kolsch yeast, and try to keep it in the mid 60's. This is what I did before I had temp control. Lagers require time and patience, but I find them very rewarding to drink and brew

1Mainebrew said:
1) don't freeze it and don't let it get above 55.

2) there's primary at 45-50 degrees F, diacetyl rest (which is a movement of the lager from the cool fermentation chamber to regular room temp when you've reached ~75% of your terminal gravity...for simplicity sake say 1.020...for 48 hours. Then you secondary and lager as close to 32F as you can get for 2 months. Then keg or bottle (reyeasting can aid in carbing faster) as usual.

3) primary is 3 weeks or whenever you reach 75% attenuation. Diacetyl rest is 2-3 days. Secondary lagering is 2-3 months or more. Bottle or keg as usual. (as an alternative you can secondary in a keg)

4) make a step starter 1 liter at a time 3-4 days in a row. Do it in a carboy, it makes it easier. Ferment the starter at room temp for optimal growth. Make the starter as usual, then 24 hours later either decant spent beer and add the next liter of starter wort or just add it to the first liter in the carboy and repeat until you have the necessary yeast count (see mrmalty). Then cool the starter and decant the spent beer and leave it in your fermentation chamber until you add your CHILLED wort to the carboy. Then shake like your life depends on it or use o2 if you have it.

5) primary 40, d-rest 60, secondary 27 or whichever temp freezes your beer. Then bottle or keg as usual. I hope this helps.

Nicely put my friend!
That is mighty helpful.
Thanks.

pick a method. there are conflicts between weather to use glass or plastic fermenters, why not just give up fermenting all together?

if you don't want to bother with the lager yeast you could always use substitute an ale yeast for the same recipe.

roaster said:
Go for it!

I did! 14 days ago I brewed up the octoberfest. The yeast wasn't ready to pitch for a few days after that. I hated leaving it unpitched. I am fully aware of the possibility that this batch might end up shot. I just have to see how it turns out.
It's been at 57 F.
I plan on letting it go for a month at that temp since I only pitched a <100billion yeast.
When the gravity is right I will bring it up to 68F for 5 days. Meanwhile ill make a starter...
Then rack to secondary, and keep the chilled starter and trub in case I need to work on the batch a bit.
Otherwise ill lager the secondary for several months.

Back