I'm concerned about my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch62383

Reaction score
I just started brewing a few weeks ago and I chose a black rye IPA to start out with. Everything has been going good I did take a sp gravity reading after 12 days in the primary no secondary for me yet. Anyways I just started think with all the hops I think I used around 5 oz. Will I be able to get all the beer out or did I screw up by not filtering the hops out during the transfer into the primary fermenter? I hope I didn't screw up any advice would help.

Probably not, they will settle out. Cold crashing may help. Not shure if you will get some grassiness or not possibly. Hopfully you get them to settle out so you don't clog from racking. You will have some volume loss though. You didn't use a strainer when dumping your wort to the fermenter? Wirlfloc/irish moss or racking off a good cold break would help next time. Most of my hops seem to settle well with the trub when chilling before transfer. I just dump mine in off the trub through a sanitized strainer. Ive had terrible luck trying to filter a siphon from loose dryhopping-got clogged every time for me, it was frustrating. Seems to work for some people.

Get a paint strainer bag or some kind of nylon or polyester mesh and wrap it around the siphon when you transfer to the bottling bucket. Hold it to the siphon with a rubber band that is wrapped around it and make sure to sanitize it before it touches your beer. It will filter all the hop debris out of your beer and you will lose very little of your beer to the hops.

Get a paint strainer bag or some kind of nylon or polyester mesh and wrap it around the siphon when you transfer to the bottling bucket. Hold it to the siphon with a rubber band that is wrapped around it and make sure to sanitize it before it touches your beer. It will filter all the hop debris out of your beer and you will lose very little of your beer to the hops.

Yes, this is the thing to do.

On your next batch, when you transfer your wort to your fermenting bucket, pour it through a strainer. That will filter out the hops, as well as helping to airate the wort. There are some that will advise against this, but it's always worked for me.

I'm a noob doing my first IPA. I've been using my nylon grain bag to boil all my hops into the wort, and I just sanitized it and put my dry hops into it and stuffed it all into my secondary when I racked. I'm not sure if its a no-no, but it seems a hella lot better than messing with the pellet explosion I experienced in my first brew.

Back