I'm Back!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
After a few years of beer brewing dormancy, I'm back!

I used to be such a technical brewer. I need to get new equipment badly and pressed for time, so I'll be brewing again but I will stick to extracts.

Man hop prices are way lower than when I was full-throttle. New equipment types (big mouthed fermentation vessels, new kinds of hops, etc.) Simcoe is everywhere now (huge shortages on that back then.) things have changed a little.

I have a kid now and can't dedicate 8 hours to all-grain brewing. Extracts it is! (there's way more bases out there now too it seems)

Anyways, it's good to be back. This used to be my Internet home!

After a few years of beer brewing dormancy, I'm back!

I used to be such a technical brewer. I need to get new equipment badly and pressed for time, so I'll be brewing again but I will stick to extracts.

Man hop prices are way lower than when I was full-throttle. New equipment types (big mouthed fermentation vessels, new kinds of hops, etc.) Simcoe is everywhere now (huge shortages on that back then.) things have changed a little.

I have a kid now and can't dedicate 8 hours to all-grain brewing. Extracts it is! (there's way more bases out there now too it seems)

Anyways, it's good to be back. This used to be my Internet home!

Welcome back. I guess I started after the hop shortages. I have always found most of what I want when I want and the prices have been pretty stable since I started in 2011.

What kind of brewing took 8 hours? My all grain brewday takes about 4 - 4.5 hours start to finish...

Welcome back. I guess I started after the hop shortages. I have always found most of what I want when I want and the prices have been pretty stable since I started in 2011.

What kind of brewing took 8 hours? My all grain brewday takes about 4 - 4.5 hours start to finish...

Thanks mate! Maybe I was just slow, but all-grain brew days always knocked out 7-8 hours for me.

Also I was using a stovetop, so getting a boil going an heating the hot liquor always took forever!

Lol totally kidding with ya brotha :mug: Welcome back to the forum! And no, I don't know you.... I just felt compelled to give you s**t for absolutely no reason!!!!! Cheers!!!!!

:mug:

LOL well I like it! I was thinking "crap, what did I say to this dude years ago? Was I that big of an *******?" lol

Welcome back!

Yes, there are lots of options for malts in extract form now. And when paired with steeping grains you can get quite a lot of variety in extract brews.

I too seem to take a bit of time when brewing. I'm normally 5-6 hours for an All Grain batch, depending on my recipe and equipment. Something that helps is to split the process up into two days. Spend the first day measuring all of your ingredients and organizing your equipment. Second day start brewing and make sure to use the "downtime" (mash and boil) cleaning and putting things away as needed.

Doing that I think I can get closer to 4-5 hours on a good day.

One thing I have been doing is 2.5G BIAB batches, they're not as time intensive and I can do it on the stovetop.

Welcome back :mug:

Back