I'm Back!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I disappeared for a few months. Didn't plan to. Just had trouble brewing this winter and sort of faded from the forums. But...I'm Back! :)

Oh and there are some nice additions to the forum since I was on last. Nice job.

Thanks!

Probably brew a batch tomorrow. Have to buy some new hoses. And I hope the forecast is correct casue it snowed a little 2 days ago.

I'm out of specialty malts. Well, i do have:

Roast Barley
Chocolate Rye malt
Lots of honey malt
Vinena Malt
Munich Malt
Pale ESB (Gambrinus ver of British Pale)
Pale Malt

BTW I've talked to Gambrinus and they state that thre vienna mlay has almost as much diastatic power as pale malt.

So off the top of my head I'm thinking (sorry..metric)
For 10 Gallons

9kg Vienna
1kg Honey malt
.5kg Rye Flake
.300kg Chocolate R Malt
.100kg Roast Barley

Not sure of the hops, yeast or mash schedule yet.
Ideally I'd lager this but I want a quick brew so I'll probably use some safale yeast. Possibly the 56 or the 04.

Might change the vienna to a 60/40 vienna/pale mix. or 50/50 munich/pale.

I really need to make a wheat or roggen beer soon. That hefe liquid yeast is getting old. :( Been in a very cold fridge for several months. Hope it's still viable.

Hmm.. Threw it into beersmith. I think I like the following:

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Denny's Winter Throw Together
Brewer: Denny
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Biere de Garde
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L      
Boil Size: 47.44 L
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 19.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU      
6.00 kg       Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)              Grain       50.4 %        
4.00 kg       Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)            Grain       33.6 %        
1.00 kg       Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                     Grain       8.4 %         
0.50 kg       Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)                     Grain       4.2 %         
0.30 kg       Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM)            Grain       2.5 %         
0.10 kg       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain       0.8 %         
30.00 gm      Northern Brewer [8.50%]  (60 min)         Hops        13.9 IBU      
60.00 gm      Saaz [4.00%]  (30 min)                    Hops        10.1 IBU      
2.11 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min)           Misc                      
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 11.90 kg

Not sure if I should use Safale 56 instead. Don't have time to order a liquid strain.

Now to figure out a mash schedule. Trying to limit my time in the cold garage. :) So maybe an infusion mash. I usually step mash for at leat a gum rest and since teh water here is slightly alkaline I tend to do a short acid rest. But since this has dark grains in it I'll be able to skip that rest. Now... mash at what? 152? or higher?

Hmm.. I probably should move this to the recipe section.

sause said:
By the looks of it, you are going for a sweet malty beer, mash around 152 that way its not over powering.

Yeah. Pretty much the same hop schedule as my vienna. So 152 it will be. I donlt think i'll go dryer since chocolate RYE malt has a crispness to it that chocolate barley does not.

Might have to wait till sunday. Temp was supposed to be nice this weekend but so fat it's still below freezing in the mornings. (-8c this morning but temp is supposed to jump up to +15c)

Back