I'm Back!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's not really as exciting as all those exclamation points would have you believe. I haven't really gone anywhere... I've just been going through some personal things... I got promoted at work to the position of supervisor... and after 3 months, I voluntarily demoted two places back to mere customer service rep because I was miserable. Still underpaid and keeping my job only because it's a rough market and I'm not ready to start looking yet...

SWMBO lost her job with the same company I work for. She's still looking after 2 months. It's a rough economy. I demoted because third shift wasn't working well for us and the pay cut wasn't very significant (primarily because my pay RAISE wasn't very significant... but it sure was a lot of extra BS...)

But I've been to the Two Brother's taphouse and I must say that their beers are EXCELLENT. Much better than in bottles. And I had a Mephistopheles and picked up a couple 4-packs of 2008 Bourbon County Brand Stout (Goose Island). I haven't brewed in a long while. My housing situation is up in the air what with SWMBO unemployed right now and looking all over.

Which leads me to the cause of my return... I've been writing a book now for quite some time. The topic is motorcycle risk management... I hate the term "motorcycle safety"- it's sort of an oxymoron, don't you think? It's just over 100 pages with lots of pretty pictures. I've gone through two technical content reviews by two good friends who are avid motorcyclists (one a very experienced MSF and TEAM Oregon instructor, the other a motorcycle statistics freak) and with just a few tweaks here and there, they both gave my content their blessing.

I'm nearing the point that I'm going to hire a professional editor to get my material into perfect shape... but before I do, I thought I'd ask whether any of my HBT brethren with experience on two wheels would be interested in taking a gander at the manuscript and offering any criticism... After all, I've never known HBT members to be short on opinions and I could use all the input I can get.

In other news, I haven't brewed in probably 8 months, but dang... I have 5 gallons of barleywine which is just OUTSTANDING now!!!!! I lost track... I think it's just over 12%ABV with about 70 IBU's.

So... what've I missed around here?

Who are you again? J/J :D
Good to hear your still alive. I have a Motorcycle I don't ride. Ya Ya Ya I know WTF! And brother If I knew how to read I would love to check out your book. Sorry to hear of your SWMBO and loosing her J.O.B. That sucks!
Brew something bro, life is good.
As for around here? Ha Ha Ha ahahahahahahha! Miss a day you miss a lot! miss a week and JUST FORGET IT!!!!!!! again J/J:D
Cheers:mug:
JJ

Welcome back!

Sorry to hear about the job issues. I totally understand where you're coming from with the voluntary demotion. I've been in the situation where the extra crap you're expected to handle isn't worth the extra pay you're getting. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of demoting myself. Just suffered through until I got a sideways move in the organization out of the section.

Cool that you're writing a book. I don't know much of anything about motorcycles, but the risk management is a good subject not matter the medium. I dealt with Operational Risk Management all the time in the AF. I don't have a lot of editorial experience (I did proofread all of SWMBO's papers for her master) but if you need someone to look for typos I'd be willing to help.

Terje

Cool that you're writing a book. I don't know much of anything about motorcycles, but the risk management is a good subject not matter the medium. I dealt with Operational Risk Management all the time in the AF. I don't have a lot of editorial experience (I did proofread all of SWMBO's papers for her master) but if you need someone to look for typos I'd be willing to help.
Terje

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I'm presently on page 104 out of 145 in the formal layout version (with all the blank pages and such included). This is my n-teenth editing pass. It just seems that the more I look it over, the less I see. I took 2 weeks off as one of my content reviewers read through it and now, of course, with fresher eyes, I see all sorts of problems that need to be fixed... and dang is it rough to get rid of masculine pronouns... So I'm fixing little squawks like that and once I get through this editing pass, I'll either pass it off to another content reviewer, or else I'll print it out and do my own "red pen to actual paper" edit... at which point I'll be ready for some editing.

It's amazing how easy it is to write 100 pages... and how difficult it is not to repeat yourself or miss blatant sentence fragments and errors.

Cheers!

"Zen, the art of motorcycle repair and homebrewing" -by Sir Humpsalot :D

No need to thank me. Although if you use that I'll want 2% of your royalties.

Glad to see you are back. Just a couple of days ago I was wondering what happened to you and almost posted in the MIA thread. Welcome back, and I hope things start looking up for you.

Back