I'm back and more broken than ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aproud1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello from Cincinnati. Stopped brewing several years ago. Hit by a drunk driver riding my motorcycle to work one morning two years back and still recovering. Can't really ride, so I decided to put my focus back on home brewing. The lack of a motorcycle freed up space for a deep freezer for fermentation though...

Two batches in, figuring out my new equipment and tracking down some efficiency issues. I have experience with water purification and am attacking more water chemistry this time around. Look forward to being more active in this forum moving forward.

Cheers!
Andy

IMG_0300.jpg

Hello from Cincinnati. Stopped brewing several years ago. Hit by a drunk driver riding my motorcycle to work one morning two years back and still recovering. Can't really ride, so I decided to put my focus back on home brewing. The lack of a motorcycle freed up space for a deep freezer for fermentation though...

Two batches in, figuring out my new equipment and tracking down some efficiency issues. I have experience with water purification and am attacking more water chemistry this time around. Look forward to being more active in this forum moving forward.

Cheers!
Andy

View attachment 850732
Sorry that happened, and glad you made it! Sometimes full recovery can take a while, but clearly you’ve recovered enough to enjoy life and brew, so good for you!

From a fellow Badly Damaged Years Ago hombrewer; Welcome Back!
If I ever complete my "Accessible Homebrewing" project, I'll be sure to share it.
:thumbsup::mug:
Thanks, and yes, please share. curious to see what you come up with.

Sorry that happened, and glad you made it! Sometimes full recovery can take a while, but clearly you’ve recovered enough to enjoy life and brew, so good for you!

Thanks! Yeah, i kept setting recovery expectations and being disappointed. I'm thick headed so it took time for me to realize I need to just roll with the recovery.

i kept setting recovery expectations and being disappointed. I'm thick headed so it took time for me to realize I need to just roll with the recovery.
Me too!!!!! Thanks for saying it......I know how hard that is. Most of my own brews are dark to amber stout, milds and bitters always using Fuggles and/or EKG's as that combo actually does seem to be the mythical "mild muscle-relaxant'...I have a small amount most mornings to slow the agonizing hypertonicity I experience from simply being vertical. I'm very slowly building what'll probably now be a BIAB rig with everything attached to one stand, including an electric winch.
:mug:

Thanks! Yeah, i kept setting recovery expectations and being disappointed. I'm thick headed so it took time for me to realize I need to just roll with the recovery.
PT, jokingly they say stands for pain and torture, and damn it feels like that sometimes. A few decades ago I was involved in a head on collision no airbags in the vehicle and even though I was using my seat belt one of my legs sustained open fractures from the knee on down. I imagine your injuries were much more extensive and we are both fortunate to be among the living.
Anyway, pumps and dollies are just a few things that can lighten the work you’ll find your way, sometimes smaller batches is the answer.

Me too!!!!! Thanks for saying it......I know how hard that is. Most of my own brews are dark to amber stout, milds and bitters always using Fuggles and/or EKG's as that combo actually does seem to be the mythical "mild muscle-relaxant'...I have a small amount most mornings to slow the agonizing hypertonicity I experience from simply being vertical. I'm very slowly building what'll probably now be a BIAB rig with everything attached to one stand, including an electric winch.
:mug:
It certainly was a tough realization. I have plates in both arms and a rod in my right femur. They mis-sized the rod and a screw broke so my bone never bridged. So they had to remove and replace after 6 months. That guarantees I will never be at 100% or close to it again.

Glad you have a "tonic" that works. And sorry you have long term issues. It sucks.

It's funny, keyboard player in one of my bands calls beer leg softeners. So he always offers me leg softeners.
PT, jokingly they say stands for pain and torture, and damn it feels like that sometimes. A few decades ago I was involved in a head on collision no airbags in the vehicle and even though I was using my seat belt one of my legs sustained open fractures from the knee on down. I imagine your injuries were much more extensive and we are both fortunate to be among the living.
Anyway, pumps and dollies are just a few things that can lighten the work you’ll find your way, sometimes smaller batches is the answer.

Thanks! Yeah, PT is no game. Initial PT was brutal! Have met some amazing therapists that give me hope for humans in general.

Head on collisions are no joke! Who knows how it would have played out without wearing a seat belt!? Basically what happened to me. Fortunately I was wearing a full helmet, armored jacket and armored gloves. Had I not, I would be taking a six foot dirt nap.

I can do most things, just have to pay the price later. Process is getting better. Enjoying brewing again so far.

Latest posts

Back