I'm an idiot part 312

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
My wife would probably indicate that number is too small...

I was brewing a very light ale from grain. I forgot to use whirfloc, I added a small amount of gelatin in with the yeast as I placed in primary--how dumb is this? Can it be saved?

I knew after I did it it was dumb...

Thanks

Is it fermenting yet?

If it were mine and it failed to start fermentation then I would pitch some more yeast. I would expect it to just be a very slow starter if the gelatine knocked the yeast down but still get there in the end. Who knows it may even be drinkable.

I have never used whirfloc before. Its not "necessary". Also, I thought gelatin was not normally added until after the fermintation is over?

biodarwin...hence my idiocy. I have had good luck with both whirloc and gelatin, I had a complete brainfart.

I'm using a new plastic see through carboy for primary and there is a great deal of activity in there, that's for sure. I had some activity in the airlock after 6 hours, it's slowed there but things are definitely humming in there.

Back