I'm an idiot...backwards airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put the airlock backwards? My first batch went seamlessly, I had great ingredients, things look and smell great. I realized the next morning that I had the airlock on the plastic lid backwards...

Wow...

Any thoughts on the impact this stupid act will have on the beer? When I rectified the mistake again, a lot of activity in there...smells good, good color. When the lock was put on correctly the bubbles were present.

Thanks

No impact. But I don't understand what you are saying you did. You really don't need that airlock until fermentation is finished, except to keep bugs out.

I really can't imagine another way to use an airlock. I've got a feeling this one would be a hoot. Please explain.

Well, maybe I did this wrong as well...

I put the wort in the ale pail with the spigot where the airlock goes.

Should it have gone in the carboy first? My first time, be gentle.

Pliny, that's some funny stuff there. We had some fun at your expense, but you will laugh with us for years to come.

Welcome to the forum. Very glad to have you here!

I'm easy to laugh at, I frequently do things bass ackwards... Do you think this will bring negative consequences to my first batch?

So you racked the wort into the bucket with a spigot? That's the bottling bucket. It will still turn out just fine. When it time comes to bottle you have two options that I can see.

1. Attach a piece of tubing to the spigot and gently wrack into the other bucket with the priming solution. Use an autoshipon attached to your bottle filler and bottle (you'll probably need an extra set of hands to have somebody hold the siphon while you fill bottles.

2 Or rack into the other bucket without any priming solution. Then clean and sanitize the bucket with the spigot (the bottling bucket), add the priming sugar to it and siphon the beer from the other bucket into the spigot bucket. From there proceed as usual in bottling. Just don't splash around the beer. Aerations is not good at this point.

Either way you'll be fine. Good lesson learned. BTW, To put your mind at ease about using a bottle bucket to ferment it works just fine. I don't bottle anymore and only keg. The bottling bucket is my favorite fermenter because I can just hook up a piece of tubing to the spigot and drain (gently) into the keg.

I don't think we're on the same page, not surprising considering I don't really know what I'm doing! I put it in this, spigot wrong term in this case...the hole on top of the bucket. I had the lock in backwards per this illustration, instead of it going up as seen here it was inside the bucket...no less stupid but it does change the situation.

http://homebrewbeer.biz/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ale_pale.jpg

Yep Pliny. I was way off base. I actually deleted that silly ramble after realizing what you were talking about. :eek:

Edit. Darn. I can't see the photo. I think it is this computer I'm on.

Best of luck brewing. It's a blast!

I have to say, I've never heard this one before...please tell me there's a picture of it? :confused:

Assuming that the airlock, and whatever may have been in it, were sanitary, you're probably fine.

Yep Pliny. I was way off base. I actually deleted that silly ramble after realizing what you were talking about. :eek:

Reminds me of one of the seven habits of successful people: Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Not lecturing you Dan, cause you are the man. I'll be out your way next week. Sure wish I was cruising down Grangeville, I'd stop by.

Do you think it will still turn out? The items were sanitized and I caught it fairly quickly--it was a Sierra Nevada Pale Clone brewed with extracts, not a kit.

Nope. I think your first batch will be excellent. In fact, I'm certain of it.

But your next batch will be better than that. Just wait and see. Really.

Thanks to everyone, feel free to laugh. I laugh at myself! I really enjoyed doing this, it appealed to my meticulous side. It's interesting, because there wasn't one flaw, not one gaffe minus this one in the entire process. I read so much and watched several videos in preparation...I was kind of nervous.

I also enjoy this forum, I've learned a great deal reading from it. This board is filled with really bright people who have obviously brewed some great beer. Thanks for helping the inexperienced among us!

Reminds me of one of the seven habits of successful people: Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Not lecturing you Dan, cause you are the man. I'll be out your way next week. Sure wish I was cruising down Grangeville, I'd stop by.

I might have to read up on those seven habits! :D

I wish you were heading down this way too but I'll be out of town next week anyway. Someday my friend.

Back