I'm a little concerned.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzuki98

Reaction score
after the wort boiled, I put the pot in a ice bath. After 10 min or so i put the sanitized tip of my digital thermometer in the wort to check temp. While doing this I dropped the unsanitized part of thermometer that had the digital reading into the wort. I quickly pulled it out and continued to cool the wort.

Fast forward to the fermentation stage. Fermentation started about 24 hrs later and it looked like an explosion happened inside the glass carboy. There is hops splashed inside onto glass above the wort and wort inside the airlock. It's so bad I can't even seen inside the carboy looking through the side. I haven't taken the airlock off to look inside yet, to see if it's infected or not but I never seen this before.

Sounds pretty normal to me! The yeasties can get pretty rowdy when they're in a good mood.

Either way, there's nothing you can do about it now - RDWHAHB :)

Cheers!

Your beer is probably just fine. The activity you are describing is about right and atoughram's comment above is spot on.

Pour yourself a cool one and let it ride for a week or two. Its all good.

Cheers! :mug:

What yeast are you using, what's your original gravity, and what temperature is the room the fermenter is in. A big beer, warmer temps, and type of yeast are all factors that can contribute to explosive fermentations. If you have a big beer with warmer temps and a true top cropping yeast for example, that's a bomb... Some us a blowoff tube all the time, I do if any of those criteria are in play.

Primary: Helles, ordinary bitter
Secondary: Maibock
On tap: Oatmeal Brown, Irish Stout, Amber Ale, Orange Belgian IPA,
Bottled: Dwarven Gold Ale, La Fin Du Mond clone, Hefeweizen

The yeast arwe happily chewing away at the sugars and far out competing the tiny amount of bactria that was introduced when you ndropped your thermo in the wort. Remember, bacteria are slow acting organisms. Yeast are fast acting.

Thanks for all the great replies. Yes I am using Nottingham yeast and making an Irish red. Where I have the carboy it's a little chilly so I wrapped the carboy with a fermentation heater wrap.

I had condensation drip off my wort chiller into the beer.. I was pretty worried. All in all everything was good. Chances are you will be fine, and sounds like a great fermentation to me.

Brewing up an Imperial IPA right now.

Back