Illegitimate Son of a Fermentation Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If the chest freezer/Ranco combo is the Mother and the Swamp Cooler is the Son, the I dubb this the "Illegitamate Son of a Fermentation Chamber". Buit using 1" R-5 (for a total R10) and a donated Absocold dorm fridge;

I have a dorm fridge that I though about doing this. You can fit 2 or 3 carboys in there? this basically takes a dorms fridge and turns it into a 3 chamber fermentation chiller? Wouldnt the carboys closest to the fridge get colder?

Thats pretty smart GilaMinumBeer
Looks like "it" will hold temperature and make use of a mini fridge and its built in thermostat. :mug:

Whats that hump like outgrowth in the first pic :p

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I will first map out what temps this thing will achieve at the different available set-points
Looks like you did a great job building it. I thought about doing this to keep my fermenting ale and wine temperatures constant -- though I'd hate to hear EvilTOJ's comments on what I came up with if he thinks this is hideous. Considering the larger cooled space I figured it would only be able to do ales, as it wouldn't be able to keep the temperature low enough to lager. I'd be interested in the temps you get and maintain with full carboys in, as well as swings in a first that is at temperature when a second is added; be sure and keep us updated.

Rick

I have a dorm fridge that I though about doing this. You can fit 2 or 3 carboys in there? this basically takes a dorms fridge and turns it into a 3 chamber fermentation chiller? Wouldnt the carboys closest to the fridge get colder?

If this works out like that, then you have a lagering section and a fermentation section. The front half would stay at lagering temp and the back half would keep the fermenter from running wild!

I like this set up!

John

I think the "hump" you're talking about is the lid for it.

Nice design, me likey. :)

Hideously Wonderful. Props to anyone making anything that works thats what I say!!! Who cares if is ugly and pink. You will still be able to brew, maybe even lager? in the south when some just cant brew...Well Done Sir, Well Done!

It'd better work, for how hideous that thing looks!

Mah? Is that you?

Yeah. Bling factor was not in the design criteria or "budget". It'd be sinple to glue some FRP on the in and out sides to "clean" up the look.

"BeerCanuk - Whats that hump like outgrowth in the first pic :p"

The interior dimensions are 24x24x38 clear. The "hump" is to allow for extra headspace in case I decide I want to put a large carboy or tall bal lock keg. I also considered airlocks or blow offs when determining the head height.

"Sporkd2 - this basically takes a dorms fridge and turns it into a 3 chamber fermentation chiller?"

Ayup. I figure, if for nothing else, the space within the fridge itself could be used for my 1 gallon starter jugs. Thus allowing me to make starters in controlled temp environments too and possibly negating the need to decant estery worts.

Update: After an Hour of the thing being turned (24 hours to let the glue dry first) Bay 2 is already down to 60*F from a starting temp of 85*F.

I may in the future also decide to hook upirculation fan (muffin fan).

i was thinking about something just like this. i seen this old fridge at a rummage sale for $15, butt then was to worried about the poor old thing having to woke 4 times as hard. i am looking into buying a new mini fridge.

my temp now is around 69% in the spot i use in the basement and i fear it will get hotter tho i have the perfect spot. my basement has a food cellar that is build down there i am planning on stealing half and insulating it. i could fit 5 carboys and they would stack up with the fridge on the bottom. my only thought you be to add a fan at the top to flow the air back down a bit.

That's some fine duct-taping, there Gila. Red Green would be proud.

Looks like a much more economical solution than the dorm-fridge-based chamber i'm working on.

That's some fine duct-taping, there Gila. Red Green would be proud.

Looks like a much more economical solution than the dorm-fridge-based chamber i'm working on.

Ha. "Moose Lodge Beer". I think you are onto something. Ugly I know but, the duct tape helped keep it all together and fitting tight til' the glue dried. Plus it'll help seal the joints.

So I get back to work and talk to a co-worker, that has a refridgeration background, to see if it's reasonable to expect this to cool below 50*F and in the course of the discussion he tells me he has a 3 year old, 10 cubic foot chest freezer (WC Woods brand by Electrolux) that he needs to get rid of. Translation free.

Ah well. I suppose I can store this thing in the shed.

I wonder how the wife will tolerate having me come home with another freezer.

This is cool to see, I was actually thinking how I was going to ferment my next batch. I measured my mini-fridge and it was not going to work so I started to think about how to jimmy something up. Glad other have already trod where I planned on going! :)

very simular to what i am doing with my ge fridge. but i think im going to wrap it in some 1/4" ply. its going to end up being 6' long 3' tall. and 24" deep. have most cut and i used 1.5" foam. before i glue it up i have to go pick up some gorilla glue. it foams so that should allow some sealing. i am also going to wrap it with some sheeting then giving it a 1" air space to maximize the r value.

let us know how well it cools since i will have the same issues over here. you keep it in the garage? i was planning on keeping mine in the dining room. the reason for ply

Dear god, you are totally going to get me in trouble for spending yet more money on beer stuff. But Lowe's is so close, and insulation board so easy to cut...

Please do keep us posted on how each bay's temps are tracking. I've got an old dorm fridge that I'm only using to store my grains in. I have a ton of space in the basement I could put something like this in (under the stairs, even... out of the way).

One question, though... how easy/difficult is it to drop in and pull out the carboys from the top? How well is the flooring supporting the weight?

My co-worker brought the freezer today. In preparation to receive it I moved the Illegitamate Son indoors into the spare bedroom.

For giggles, I plugged it in and ran it overnight and the chiller box did in fact achieve 40*f when it is run in a 72*f environment.

WhaHoo!

WARNING: The foremention stunt was performed by a trained professonal. Serious injury may result (as implemented by SWMBO) if you try this at home.

I am still waiting for the wife to "notice" the move.

I am using milk crates as supports to ease the burden of raising and lowering fermenters into and out of the box. Plus, I'd like to think they also help spread the weight out a bit more. The hoisting is no more difficult or no easier than lifting into and out of a chest freezer.

Yes, the insulation is very easy to cut. I used a sharp steak knife.

So, with this box now working as intended and the addition of another chest freezer I now have tha capabilities to do controlled temp fermentations in separate cabinets. Yay! I can use one for Lagers and another for Ales. I doubt I'll add a controller to the IS and I have already ordered one for the new freezer.

Now I just need to get to brewing. With another baby on the way my brewing future is looking grim and I just can;t pull off the overnight tinkerings anymore.

That is cool as hell! Makes me wanna hunt for a mini fridge and build that! I was thinking of doing a slight mod to it for air circulation.... run a fan through the wall between chambers which will be located on the bottom not the top to blow cooler air and a fan on top of the rear one to blow up through a flex tube and run to the other chamber to blow hotter air to circulate back to "the source".

That is cool as hell! Makes me wanna hunt for a mini fridge and build that! I was thinking of doing a slight mod to it for air circulation.... run a fan through the wall between chambers which will be located on the bottom not the top to blow cooler air and a fan on top of the rear one to blow up through a flex tube and run to the other chamber to blow hotter air to circulate back to "the source".

Yeah I have done similar. I installed a small 1. Inch fan in the condensor ( freezer) bay to push air through rather than rely on convection and a larger 4 Inch in the top cutout to circulate air between bays.

bay one maintained a 1 degree temp differential I assume due to it's closer proximity to the coldest air.

You mind maybe reposting those images to your gallery here on HBT? Links show up as dead, don't see nothing.

Sorry.

I removed the images from my hosting account because I destroyed the cabinet.

Days after I built the cabinet I was donated a nearly new chest freezer and from there I decided to destroy the home built cabinet to save both some space and my marriage. :D

Back