I'll never brew without rice hulls again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Used them for the first time tonight since I had an 11% Rye Malt recipe.

Man was it nice. On my batch sparge, the grain bed was compacted as usual, but as soon as I stuck my paddle in there to mix it around, that grain bed just fluffed right up and settled back nice and loose.

With an 11% rye malt grain bill, I expected trouble, even with the rice hulls (.5# for a 15# grain bill). It was the fastest, cleanest sparge I've ever had.

Coincidentally, overshot my target OG by 5 points. I think that fluffier grain bed must be more prone to releasing the sugars.

Glad I bought 10#'s of the stuff. With only 1/2 pound needed per batch, it's a bargain for easy sparging.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Just picked some up for when I make you Boulevard What this weekend. I hope they work as well as you say and improve my efficiency.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I've only used them on recipes that were heavy in flakes, I may need to rethink that now.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
I can't say I have ever noticed Rice hull's really helping. I have done some high percentage rye beers and never had a problem.

OP
BierMuncher

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
enohcs said:
will you use rice hulls in future recipes where 100% malted barley is used?
If the grain bill is heavy enough.

It isn't just the flaked grains that slow a sparge but also:

I crush pretty aggressivley...

I use a 10 gallon round cooler and that tall/narrow configuration can get pretty compacted with a 24# grain bill...

I tend to let my mash sit for 90 minutes (especially if mashing at the low end of 148-149 for a lighter, dryer beer). That additional time seems to allow the bed to really settle tightly. (I also pick up 4-5 additional points with an extended mash time;))

Next time I repeat a 100% barley recipe, I'll use some and see if they really do improve efficiency or if I just had a lucky night this last time.