I'll just go reclaim my noob card now ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbar

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian blond this Saturday. Used the recipe from the May/June 2009 Zymurgy (in which there's a pretty serious typo in the hops schedule, btw). Added 1.5 pounds of sugar to get the gravity up to 1.068 for more of a Leffe experience.

Brew day went well. Forgot my 5.2, but efficiency seemed fine. Pitched a 1L WLP 550 yeast starter that was chilled and decanted.

Woke up Sunday morning and the thing was bubbling like mad. Container temp was pushing 72, so I stuck it outside for a couple hours so it wouldn't overheat. When I got back a few hours later, temp was down around 67 and the bubbles had stopped.

Hmmm ... seemed a little weird. That's really not that low a temp. Brought it back inside to warm it up. Next morning, we're at 70 degrees and still no bubbles.

Time to go Google the yeast. Yep, stuck fermentations seem to be an issue for some people with the 550. I've never, ever had one stick before no matter what yeast I was using, but there's a first time for everything. Moved it into my office where the temps are a little higher. Bucket's at 72 degrees. Still no action.

Dang, must really have ticked those little guys off. Ok, time for the sanitized SS spoon to get things going again. But wait, pop the top and that's one fine looking krausen. This thing doesn't look bad at all.

Oh well, top's off, might as well do a little gentle stirring then get things covered up again to avoid throwing in too much oxygen.

Five hours later, still no bubbles. At this point, I'm thinking this just must be some weird ferment progress I've never seen before. It _was_ going pretty hard after 12 hours. Maybe it's just going to go really, really slowly from here on out. Meh, test it in two weeks and see what's happened.

Then I notice ... that the vodka level ... in the airlock ... is, oh, kinda low. Like maybe even below the level of the vents on the little bobber deal.

Topped it up, bubbles aplenty.

Excuse me while I go mill about the beginner's forum for awhile as penance.

Sorry but you'll need to brew three more successful batches to work your way back up to n00b.

If you run out of vodka, try putting one of those little kids wind mills on top of the airlock. :D

Well at that point there was so much darn krausen there that he couldn't see if it was fermenting or not! :drunk:

It's hard to see the fermentation through the krausen.

Or is it forest through the trees? I always get those messed up.

Glad you solved your problem, but I'll reiterate what has been said several times:
An airlock is a lousy indicator of fermentation, especially if using a bucket. If the lid is loose, or the gasket is bad, you will get no bubbles. Do not rely on your airlock! Take gravity readings, and if they stay the same for several days, THEN fermentation is stuck (or just plain done).

I am guessing, at this point, his hydrometer was hiden under the foam and with the CO2 he couldn;t take a reading. That or he couldn;t read the meniscus with his refractometer in teh sample tube.

Just poking fun OP.

Yes, yes, thank you for the knowledgeable razzing. It's better than the blank look of "couldn't care less" I'll get when I tell SWMBO about it tonight.

Probably should have figured out what was going on when the houseplant in the corner started growing two inches each hour.

Yes, yes, thank you for the knowledgeable razzing. It's better than the blank look of "couldn't care less" I'll get when I tell SWMBO about it tonight.

Beats the blank "would a revolver bring on too much suspicion" looks I get from mine when I talk beer.

Probably should have figured out what was going on when the houseplant in the corner started growing two inches each hour.

My SWMBO's response, "So your beer did something, then you did something, you got worried about something, did something else, realized you were an idiot, and nothing's wrong? Well, at least this "problem" didn't cost us money. Lemme watch my shows..."

My SWMBO's response, "So your beer did something, then you did something, you got worried about something, did something else, confirmed you were an idiot, and nothing's wrong? Well, at least this "problem" didn't cost us money. Lemme watch my shows..."

Fixed to be believable.

Back