il growers when do japanese beetles appear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like the thread says, when do they appear?

Last year I had a lot and worked hard to keep them under control. This year I was aggressive with my grub ex but I can't recall when they started to surface. So far I'm having a great year and I'm curious if my problems just haven't shown up yet.

Take a look at some different vegetation around your property. I've seen none on the hops but found a bunch in some mallow-type flowers growing behind my little hopyard. Emergence in your neck of the woods may be a week or so behind us here in N.E. Ohio. Don't worry, they'll come. Even if your yard is clean the other ones in the neighborhood will find an attractive food source and fly to lunch, hopefully it won't be your hops!

Take a look at some different vegetation around your property. I've seen none on the hops but found a bunch in some mallow-type flowers growing behind my little hopyard. Emergence in your neck of the woods may be a week or so behind us here in N.E. Ohio. Don't worry, they'll come. Even if your yard is clean the other ones in the neighborhood will find an attractive food source and fly to lunch, hopefully it won't be your hops!

You must be getting lucky. They love my hops more than the 100 other plant varieties in my yard. I have issues every year. Actually, after commenting on this thread, I went out to check, and sure enough....those bastards are back.

They seem to leave most of the varieties alone except for the volunteer. She must sure smell purdy!

they just arrived in wny not to many on my centennials yet but just a few sure do wreak havoc.

Well I'm split. So far my yard looks clean. However a farmer I know gave me four yards of dirt for free. Quality stuff. Except when it was dumped on my drive way I could see larvae in it. I shredded the dirt and mixed in grub ex but well see.

So far I'm having a great year. And so far I haven't seen a beetle? Knock on wood.

I haven't seen one yet either, Retro, but we (in the Northern burbs) are almost 2 full weeks behind normal seasonal schedule due to the odd spring weather and winds off the lake.

As for the beetles hitting hops? I have had scattered but mild damage on them, historically. They seem to really prefer the birch, crabapple and plum trees and especially love roses. butterfly bushes, and pole bean leaves. I have all of these things within short distance of the hopyard and they seem to attract the majority of beetles.

Last year was my second year and I thought the damage they did was terrible. Maybe I don't have a fair comparison.

You make a good point about the delayed season. I anticipate damage but the longer I run problem free the better I feel.
I consider myself semi experienced now so I won't freak out like last year I'm just sort feeling good at how smooth and problem free this year gas been.
Probably just jynxed myself. :)

Last year was my second year and I thought the damage they did was terrible. Maybe I don't have a fair comparison.

You make a good point about the delayed season. I anticipate damage but the longer I run problem free the better I feel.
I consider myself semi experienced now so I won't freak out like last year I'm just sort feeling good at how smooth and problem free this year gas been.
Probably just jynxed myself. :)

And I have a bit of a laissez-faire attitude about it, so I may not be a great role model for all the aspiring anal retentive gardeners out there. I do what I can (grub-x in the late summer or fall) and let nature do its thing for the most part. Keep the beneficial insects happy and try my best to mitigate damage done by invasives without over-reacting and nuking the neighborhood.

I just saw my first beetles in the last week or so. My hops are 4 years old and every year the hop production increases and starts earlier. I used to spray mine with an organic insect repellent, but now I figure the plants have moved well into hop production by the time the beetles show up. Many of the leaves, especially in the lower part of the plant, start to die off anyway this time of year. I just go out a few times a day when I think of it and spray them off with the garden hose. It is rare to see a beetle actually eating the hops. I wouldnt worry too much, but i can see how you can be concerned with young plants. Good luck and have fun with it.

Just to keep this conversation going. My observation- and I think I'm right- is Japanese beetles are alpha sensitive. That is prefer less bitter hops over high alpha.

My first year I planted four hops my hood cascade sterling and chinook. They destroyed my my hood and hacked at my cascade by just nibbled at the sterling and never touched chinook.

My second year garden I did the same thing low alpha to high. Again they go to town on the low but my Zeus and magnum. Not a beetle. So something to consider. Thats all.

I am in North Central IL and we definitely are seeing the beetles now. They seem to be on the top of the hop plant (17' high) so I sprayed them with Neem oil on a hose end sprayer yesterday. That seemed to help. I also observed that they seem to like the lower AA hops

I harvested my centennials last nite and on the top of the bine had damage from beetles eating the hop cones. Lost about 1/2 oz

That's interesting. They have never touched my cones but they have eaten leaves reducing the plants ability to produce cones.

I was going to pull the hops that get destroyed tear after year by them but I wonder if I should keep them because they keep beetles off my other plants. Sort of a "trap" hop.

Yes, I can't believe they are ready this early either. They felt right and lupulin was bright yellow. My Chinook will be ready within two weeks or less. My cascades are way behind...small cones.

It seems the beetle stayed within 2 feet of top.

Talked to a farmer today. They are starting to spray the soybeans for japenese beetles. Don't know if that will drive more of them in or not.

Hi guys (and gals),

I recently discovered one of my vines that had been doing very well is now struggling. I did some exploring and found these critters
2dudm46.jpg

I live in Pittsburgh and we have had a stink bug problem and this looks an awful lot- but not exactly like the stink bugs I found in my house. Anyone have an idea of what I'm dealing with and how I can deal with these pests before all is lost?

If this isn't the right forum for my post- I apologize.

Back