iipa recipe...i think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricksam

Reaction score
My first recipe attempt and I am hoping for some feedback. I basically took NB Dead Ringer IPA and tried to boost it a little. One of my concerns is if this is enough yeast and can it do the job on this?

1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 7.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
1 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 3 7.1 %
9 lbs 2.4 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 4 64.7 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 25.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 25.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 11.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 7.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
2 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 11 14.1 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

IMO, if you want a better IPA, stick to extra light or light extract. Add half or more of it at flameout to reduce kettle caramelization and so the hops have better opportunity to shine. Reduce the total crystal malt to 7% tops... preferably 4-5%.

Substitute some of the DME with <10% corn sugar to aid with signature AIPA dryness. I would use corn sugar in place of honey for your first recipe. Honey is a tricky thing to brew with successfully so that the character from it shines through in the final beer. If you can avoid topping off with water after the boil, please do so. Full volume boils are the way to go, especially for IPAs.

You'll have to adjust your hops accordingly with these adjustments. You won't need 3 oz. at 60 that's for sure. Ditch the Fuggles for something else. This is an earthy, grassy hop not at all like the typical Pacific NW American IPA hops we are usually accustomed to. Instead of splitting your Centennial between 20-5 min, just at 4 oz. as a flameout addition. The flavor and aroma will hold up better in the end. And with all the IBUs you're getting from early additions, you won't miss skipping the late additions you originally intended on in place of a huge flameout addition.

Yeast pitch amount depends on the OG. Search google for mrmalty's pitch rate calculator to figure this out. You don't need to make a starter for dry yeast, but the website's tool will at least tell you how many packets of US-05 you will need to pitch. Good luck!

Thanks for the input bobbrews. My mindset on using honey was this: I wanted to bump up the abv....not really seeking a distinct honey flavor, and I have more honey around than I could ever use up on my pancakes. I was under the impression that honey will dry out a beer and that is why I tried to offset that with more crystal malt. My goal was to achieve a mouthy, malty character to this one rather than a real dryness...with that in mind, did I still go overboard? I am going to utilize your hop advice....and I do full boils and add most of the extracts at flameout.

Post your OG, total IBU's & batch size...it would help you get better suggestions.

I have this plugged into Beersmith on my other computer, but I believe the OG was 1.090 and IBUs were in the middle of the american iipa style (45 ish?) and this is a 5 gal batch size starting with 6 gal preboil.

Back