IIPA not carbonating. Any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leyczo

Reaction score
So, I am a bit of a beginner with about four batches of extract beers under my belt. Three of them have turned out great, but I am having some problems with carbonating my second batch, a double IPA.

Basically, the batch was the Hop Head Double IPA kit from midwest supplies:
Hop Head Double IPA w/Munton's 6 gm dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I thought the OG looked pretty low, though, so I added enough extract to get it up to a measured OG of 1.084. Other than that, I followed the recipe in the kit.

I made a 1 liter starter of Wyeast 1056, which I chilled, drained off the clear liquid, and pitched the yeast from. Fermentation was active in a couple hours, and the gravity was down to 1.017 after a week in the primary, at which point I racked it to a secondary and dry hopped it for two weeks. After that, I cold crashed it in my fridge for three days, added priming sugar and bottled.

That was 7.5 weeks ago, and it is still sweet and very lightly carbonated, with no head at all. It was stored at about 65 degrees for three weeks, when I noticed it wasn't cabonated then, I shook up the yeast and moved it to the garage, where it was about 80 degrees for a couple weeks, with no improvement. I guess I did something that killed off the yeast I needed in order to bottle carbonate.

What should I do? I could let it sit longer, but after 7.5 weeks, I would expect that not much is going to change. Do I need to open each bottle and add more yeast, and if so, what is the best way to do this?

I really don't want to lose this batch, other than being flat it tastes great, and sure packs a punch.

when you cold crashed it you probably knocked most of the yeast out of suspension. it seems like there was either not enough left or it was too stressed already to go at the priming sugar.

when you cold crashed it you probably knocked most of the yeast out of suspension. it seems like there was either not enough left or it was too stressed already to go at the priming sugar.

Yeah, that is possible, although I have cold crashed a couple other beers in exactly the same way, and have had no trouble carbonating them. I think it might be more related to the high alcohol content. Either way, is there anything I can do to get it to carbonate, or do I just have to dump the whole batch?

It can easily take a few more weeks for a high gravity beer to carbonate fully. Wait it out.

You have two major things going against you, you cold crashed it and its high gravity (lots of alcohol) The yeast probably is having trouble coming back from going dormant, due to the high alcohol content. It will take time but eventually they will start to get more and more carbed. As mentioned above, just wait it out, never dump, esp if its just a carb issue.

Batch is ruined, send it to me for proper disposal.

Or, at worst case, pitch more yeast. Use a high flocculation so it will settle out quickly and make a hard cake in the bottles or whatever you are using. Or, take this as a sign to get into kegging.

You could move into kegging and pour it all into a keg and enjoy it shortly thereafter. I love kegs, hate bottles!

I had this exact same problem with a kolsch I did. The OG was low and only came about to be about 4.5%abv. It was the second beer i ever cold crashed. I had cold crashed rappberry wheat a week earlier. no carb issues with the wheat. but the kolsch took about 6 weeks to fully carbonate...

since then- no more cold crashing what i put into bottles. i can deal with a little extra cloudiness if that means they bottles are ready to drink quicker.

time to make the jump to kegging, casnt afford just yet, but til then- no more cold crashing what i put into bottles...

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will just have to wait longer, and I will probably stop cold crashing, if that could be what is causing the problem.

Latest posts

Back