IIPA advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
Making my second IPA this weekend. My main desired advice here is hop schedule.

I have:

3 oz. Amarillo pellets 8.0%AA
3 oz. Simcoe plugs 12.9%AA
1 oz. Centennial pellets 9.0%AA
unlimited Cascade pellets (AA unknown)
unlimited Sterling pellets (AA unknown)

Suggestions? I am doing my first FWH and planned to use the Centennial for that. I also figured I use Cascade for the 60 min addition. I also plan to dry-hop, so throw that in too, if you're taking a go at my schedule.

Grain bill:

13 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. crystal 60L
1 lb. honey malt
0.5 lb carapils

Planning to just use US-05 on this.

Thanks! :mug:

I'd use the Cascade for late additions and dry hopping.

Could you post your grain bill as well?

I'd look at using the Centennial for FWH (like you said); then maybe:

1 oz. Simcoe @ 60
1 oz. Amarillo @ 15
1 oz. Cascade @ 5
1 oz. Cascade dry

Grain bill added to OP.

I plan to mash low (150F). I wasn't sure if the 60L AND the honey malt will leave it too sweet? I've never use the honey before.

a whole pound of both honey and 60L might make it a little sweet, maybe mash 148- thats a better temp for a dry beer, anyhoo

if you really want to first wort hop, try the simcoe- FWH gives you good hop flavor, get that piney simcoe taste, id save the centennial for a knockout or dry hop addition

simcoe FWh and bittering, then use amarillo and centennial at ten minutes or less, then dry hop with amarillo and centennial, even throw in an ounce of simcoe dry hop- you wont be sorry

i made a beer of a similar gravity and used 8 ounces amarillo once, 9 ounces simcoe once, go nuts, just make sure you keep IBUs reasonable- go crazy with late hops/dry hops

Grain bill added to OP.

I plan to mash low (150F). I wasn't sure if the 60L AND the honey malt will leave it too sweet? I've never use the honey before.

I've never used honey before either, but my guess is a pound of each will be to sweet. But mashing low could cut out some of that maybe?

I have:

If these are from the hop lottery that Harv put together, the Cascade are 4.5% AA and the Sterling are 7.1%AA.

:mug:

I'm not sure about the honey malt, that's pretty potent stuff.

What about (blasphemy!) a pound of plain table sugar in there to promote attenuation? Mash low like you said (148°-150°), mash long (90 minutes), and don't be afraid of a little simple sugar.

I'm not sure about the honey malt, that's pretty potent stuff.

What about (blasphemy!) a pound of plain table sugar in there to promote attenuation? Mash low like you said (148°-150°), mash long (90 minutes), and don't be afraid of a little simple sugar.

I had entertained that thought (using corn sugar) to make sure it was dry enough. Do you think if I use the added sugar (and maybe backed the honey down to 0.5 lb) it would avoid cloying sweetness?

Well, you might minimize; hard to avoid completely. If you're looking for a more robust, complex malt profile, why not a "character" malt like a Vienna or a Munich instead of a crystal malt? Get some flavor, some depth without adding as much direct sweetness? My plan for "Double Murder" involves a crapton of Pilsner (since that's what I have), a few pounds of Munich, *maybe* a half-pound of a medium crystal and then a pound of table sugar.

If you're looking for a more robust, complex malt profile, why not a "character" malt like a Vienna or a Munich instead of a crystal malt? Get some flavor, some depth without adding as much direct sweetness?

Yeah, I used an entire pound of crystal in the last batch, but I also used a pound of Victory. Maybe I will be making a run to my LHBS before Saturday and making a few adjustments. Thanks, bird.

Well, you might minimize; hard to avoid completely. If you're looking for a more robust, complex malt profile, why not a "character" malt like a Vienna or a Munich instead of a crystal malt? Get some flavor, some depth without adding as much direct sweetness? My plan for "Double Murder" involves a crapton of Pilsner (since that's what I have), a few pounds of Munich, *maybe* a half-pound of a medium crystal and then a pound of table sugar.

I agree with the Munich addition, it gives the fullness without the sweetness. That's how I do my https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/great-horned-owl-ipa-108690/

I have:

Suggestions?

For a IIPA(as in the title) that looks good;)

Back