Igloo Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan6

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of trying to upgrade my brewing process from a stove top/pot/strainer mini mash brewer to a higher grain percentage,though not necessarily all grain brewer. I see most of the posts I read about beverage cooler type mash tuns seem to use 10 gallon rubbermaid coolers. Checking out local prices, I see that 5 gallon Igloos are less than half the price.I have ready access to all the valves,fittings and stainless braid I need to do the conversions that I see being done in these,and other homebrew type forums. This being the case, I was thinking that it might be to my advantage to build two 5 gallon tuns as opposed to one 10 gallon tun. My thinking is that a 5 gallon tun would be large enough for most of my 6 gallon batches, and on the occasions that I wanted to brew a real high gravity ale I could use both and do double duty that day. It seems to me that this setup would offer me the most flexibility ay the same cost. My question- Is there something that I'm missing? Is the 10 gallon size inherently better(depth of grain bed,better sparge etc.) that I'm not, through inexperience, taking into account? Or maybe I should only build one 5 gallon setup and use it twice on brewing days? Or just make up any necessary adjustments with more extract? I"m trying to do this thing up right,but I am planning on doing more brewing upgrades so money is,at least in my case, an object. The old infinite wants/finite resources dilemma.(or maybe my daughters don't really need those damn phones-but I digress). Any input from those of experience and knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The big reason for 10 gallon tun is 5 gallons may not be large enough for larger grain bills.

Also 5 gallon is too small if you ever decide to go to 10 gallon batches.

I went with a 15 gallon Igloo IceCube for MLT to hopefully put off any future upgrades.

I have one of each (5 and a 10). I can fit about 12# of grain in my 5, so I am limited at what I can do with that one. Do yourself a favor and get a 10, at a minimum.

Best IMO if the cooler is sized appropriate for the batch...if a 5 will do the intended batch, then that's the right size...easier to handle, clean and store. While I somewhat agree that bigger is better, using a cooler that is twice the size you need for a given batch would be a tad inconvenient.

Best IMO if the cooler is sized appropriate for the batch...if a 5 will do the intended batch, then that's the right size...easier to handle, clean and store. While I somewhat agree that bigger is better, using a cooler that is twice the size you need for a given batch would be a tad inconvenient.

I would agree with this. Less grain in a larger tun doesn't hold temp as well, either.

I built a 5 gallon igloo MLT and now I am going to upgrade to 10 gallon. Sure you can fit 13 pounds of grain in the MLT, however, at 1.25qt per pound you will fill the cooler to the brim. Good luck getting the lid on :(

I went the same route as avidhomebrewer with the 5 and 10 gallon coolers.

I don't have any regrets getting the 5 gallon because it holds temps very well and I get great efficiency fly sparging with it. Usually I'll mash in the 5 and use the 10 for a HLT. If I'm making a big beer I mash in the 10 and use the 5 as a HLT but make sure I have more hot water if its needed.

If you plan on moving up to 10 gallon batches I can see forgoing the 5 gallon cooler.

I was thinking that it might be to my advantage to build two 5 gallon tuns as opposed to one 10 gallon tun. My thinking is that a 5 gallon tun would be large enough for most of my 6 gallon batches, and on the occasions that I wanted to brew a real high gravity ale I could use both and do double duty that day. It seems to me that this setup would offer me the most flexibility ay the same cost.

The ~12# of grain a 5 gal cooler can mash will limit you to a maximum OG of 1.051 for 6 gal figuring 70% efficiency, and will be a hassle to stir when filled to the brim. If you consider anything over that "real high gravity", then we have very different definitions. IMO splitting a mash between two vessels is a PITA that will get really old really fast, so I wouldn't plan on doing that regularly. If most of your beers are below 1.051 OG and you don't plan on upgrading to 10 gal batches anytime soon, then I think your plan sounds fine. My guess is that you'll regret not buying the bigger one to start with, but I don't know what you like to brew or what your brewing plans are for the future.

Is there a reason everyone seems to be going with Igloo? Looking for a low price cooler and found a 50 quart Coleman but a bit concerned if it can stand up to the high heat required for a mash tun. Are the Igloo's more durable? Or easier to convert? Hold the temp better? Or shouldn't really matter?

Is there a reason everyone seems to be going with Igloo? Looking for a low price cooler and found a 50 quart Coleman but a bit concerned if it can stand up to the high heat required for a mash tun. Are the Igloo's more durable? Or easier to convert? Hold the temp better? Or shouldn't really matter?

The relatively tall and round shape of the igloo drink coolers is somewhat beneficial for fly sparging, but not critically so. If you're going to batch sparge the shape really doesn't matter much, so I'd just go with what's cheapest/easiest. The coleman extreme coolers and ice cube coolers (igloo?) also seem to be popular models for mash tuns. They hold temp as well or better than the round ones, can be found much cheaper, and come in larger sizes for those brewing 10 gal batches. The round coolers are very easy to put a valve on, but so are many of the square/rectangular coolers.

Maybe the OP should consider a square/rectangular cooler? I've seen both the 48 and 60 qt ice cube coolers for ~$30-$35 at my local lowes.

Back