Igloo industrial cooler vs Rubbermaid, 2 gallon vs 3 gallon, partial mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
Downsizing my brewing equipment since I'm moving into a smaller place soon. I will now be a partial mash brewer. I've been in analysis paralysis regarding my choices for a tun. The Igloo Industrial ones (the yellow and red) look pretty heavy duty. The standard Rubbermaid ones don't look quite as sturdy, but I know they work well.

I'm also bouncing back and forth between the 2 and 3 gallon sizes. The 2 gallon ones are attractive because I can do extract + steeping grains batches in those as well. The 3 gallon is quite a bit wider, so I don't know how well steeping would work in there. There's also the size issue.

Any suggestions?

Anyone?

I think I've decided on a 3 gallon cooler. Anyone recommend Igloo over Rubbermaid, or vice versa? They both have very different dimensions. The Rubbermaid is tall and narrow, whereas the Igloo is short but fat. I was worried that the mash would be too thin in some cases with the Igloo one.

Thanks in advance.

I am doing mini mash currently in a tall skinny Rubbermaid one with a biab bag and wish that I had the shorter flatter one to work with. Seems like it would be easier to mash in. Can not complain to much since I got the cooler for free. I am only brewing 2.5 gallon batches right now but am looking at experimenting doing some low abv all grain batches with it this winter. With the mini mash set up.

I don't have any experience with 2 or 3 gal coolers. But in 5 and 10 gal sizes, I prefer Igloo. Mostly because of the lids... I always seem to cross-thread the Rubbermaid lids, and once cross-threaded they hang on like grim death when I try to back them off and try again. Igloo lids, on the other hand, just jam into place like a cork. The Rubbermaid lids also let liquid slosh out - for example, when riding in the back seat of a car. Probably not a big deal for a mash tun...

As far as I know, there are two major differences between Igloo's industrial models and their cheaper ones. To begin with, the industrial models are UV resistant; they hold up better in the sun. Again, not a big deal for a mash tun...

Also, I believe the industrial models have insulated lids, whereas the others have hollow lids. I drilled a second hole in the hollow lid of the Igloo cooler I use now, and filled it from both sides with insulating foam from a can.

Back