IGLOO Cube MLT questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigger7

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make my own MLT using a Igloo 60qt. cube with a manifold set up.
I'm wondering do these really work well?
Is it also possible to set up a sparge manifold unerneath the lid?
Who has the best instructions for this?
Any and all help would be appreciated.

I'm wanting to make my own MLT using a Igloo 60qt. cube with a manifold set up.
I'm wondering do these really work well?
Is it also possible to set up a sparge manifold unerneath the lid?
Who has the best instructions for this?
Any and all help would be appreciated.

I use one. I set up a square manifold with a center tube draining from the center out of 3/8 copper tube slit with a dremel disk hooked up to a weldless bulkhead and ball valve. No sparge manifold yet. I have plans to, but just havn't gotten to that yet.

It works pretty good and only looses 3-4 degrees/hr in the winter time brewing outside. In the summer it's pretty constant temp wise. I'd make sure to insulate the lid though.

I just set mine on a piece of foam while mashing to keep it off the cement garage floor and cover the whole thing with a blanket while the mash is going on. On 10 gallon batches where the cooler is completely full I lose 1 degree or less. My lid is not insulated.

I've been using a cube for 6 yrs now and it works great for me. I built a manifold out of cpvc that connects to a ball valve to drain. Temp loss isn't that bad. I usually cover the whole thing with a couple blankets. I never built a sparge setup for it but plan to eventually.

I use one. My last brew called for a 90 minute 3 step mash. I didn't loose more than a degree at any point. I'll be insulating the lid soon with some spray in foam but that's more to keep crap out of it if the manifold comes apart. Pic's :D

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Hrm... I've hit my my target gravity or been within 1 point every time so I'm not so sure its gonna make that big a difference. But hey why not give it a try.

BTW I fly sparge not batch.

I use a ss braid and have my valve through the original drain plug. Averaging and consistently at 63% efficiency. These manifolds are making me jealous. I'm not sure if I should get a manifold or new cooler.

Back