If you're into Reinheitsgebot, best get brewing now, three days left...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
German brewing law restricts brewing to only the winter months: St. Michael's Day (September 29) to St. George's Day (April 23).

So for you guys who are always touting the strict adherence to German brewing laws, might want to take a day off this week and get your brew on. Three days left.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/history.html

99.9% of my beers have nothing but water, barley, yeast and hops. I have one stout that gets some Kona Coffee and a little Coco powder.

I lived in germany for 3 years (moved back 3 years ago), and while I always heard of the rheinhietgebot, I never heard of this seasonal restriction. I don't think that's still practiced, as modern refrigeration makes it unnecessary. But interesting to know that history.

I never did have much respect for authority. I think I'll brew on April 24th.

99.9% of my beers have nothing but water, barley, yeast and hops. I have one stout that gets some Kona Coffee and a little Coco powder.

Yeah, but following the reinheitsgebot is harder than that. You can't make any water adjustments with salts, and you have to naturally carbonate your beer with malt extract or wort; carbonating sugar isn't allowed. You also can't dry hop the beer. It doesn't seem worth it to me, in particular there's no way I'm using malt extract or wort for carbonation, as sugar works so reliably well.

Ok then I'm a rebel.Or just not that German.Although I do have Austrian heritage.Ah screw em .I like my beer.;)

Yeah, but following the reinheitsgebot is harder than that. You can't make any water adjustments with salts, and you have to naturally carbonate your beer with malt extract or wort; carbonating sugar isn't allowed. You also can't dry hop the beer. It doesn't seem worth it to me, in particular there's no way I'm using malt extract or wort for carbonation, as sugar works so reliably well.

I never adjust my water...But I do use Table Sugar to carbonate and Dry Hop my IPA's. Change that to 95%. LOL

Back