If you would change anything in this recepie, what would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse93

Reaction score
The thought behind this beer is that it is going to be an ale-type czech pilsner inspired beer. Call it an Ale-Pilsner, Altbier Helles or an European Pale Ale.

I will brew this next week.

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.8%
IBU: 40
Color: 14.5 EBC
IBU/GU: 0.67
- 90 min mash (biab), 67 degrees celcius
70% Swedish Pilsner Malt
15% Vienna Malt
10% Munich Malt
2,5% CaraVienne
2,5% Melanoiden malt
-
Magnum 29,8 IBU 60 min
Sladek 9,5 IBU 15 min
Saaz 0,6 IBU Flame Out
Dry hop 1 week with 50/50 Saaz, Green bullet
-
10 min Irish moss
-
WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast - 2v in primary, 2v in secondary.

Best regards from Europe, where the hops taste like dirt :mug:

The thought behind this beer is that it is going to be an ale-type czech pilsner inspired beer. Call it an Ale-Pilsner, Altbier Helles or an European Pale Ale.

I will brew this next week.

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.8%
IBU: 40
Color: 14.5 EBC
IBU/GU: 0.67
- 90 min mash (biab), 67 degrees celcius
70% Swedish Pilsner Malt
15% Vienna Malt
10% Munich Malt
2,5% CaraVienne
2,5% Melanoiden malt
-
Magnum 29,8 IBU 60 min
Sladek 9,5 IBU 15 min
Saaz 0,6 IBU Flame Out
Dry hop 1 week with 50/50 Saaz, Green bullet
-
10 min Irish moss
-
WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast - 2v in primary, 2v in secondary.

Best regards from Europe, where the hops taste like dirt :mug:

I'd delete the use of a secondary vessel and ferment it at 14.5°C

Green bullets are 11-14% AA. They will for sure drown out the Saaz hops, which are usually 3-5%AA. I'd just go with the Saaz. If you really want a blend of the two in your dry hop, I'd try something more like an 80/20 or even 90/10 blend rather than 50/50.

It looks much like an Atlbier to me although a bit bigger @ 1.060 OG. Overall it looks OK but I agree with JonM about the Green Bullet hops. They seem out of place in this brew and AFAIK aren't really known for their aromatic/dry hopping capabilities. Seeing how you already have Sladek and Saaz in the recipe I'd stick with one of those or a combination for dry hopping.

It looks much like an Atlbier to me although a bit bigger @ 1.060 OG. Overall it looks OK but I agree with JonM about the Green Bullet hops. They seem out of place in this brew and AFAIK aren't really known for their aromatic/dry hopping capabilities. Seeing how you already have Sladek and Saaz in the recipe I'd stick with one of those or a combination for dry hopping.

I ordered the stuff yesterday. Will be 1.055 as target OG instead, and 35 IBU. 50/50 Saaz and Sladek at the dry hop. :mug:

Why shouldn't I use the secondary? :)

Real question is why should you?

Does moving beer off the yeast that soon have any positive impact on the flavor? No, yeast autolysis is a myth with modern yeast on the home-brew scale in the 1-2 month timeframe.

Is it necessary to use a secondary vessel to clarify beer? No, you can get crystal clear beer with finings and cold crashing in primary and/or keg.

Are you making any special additions like wood chips, fruit, etc? Don't see that in your recipe.

Can you dry hop in primary? Absolutely, secondary isn't necessary for that.

So the real question is, why use a secondary, where you are making more work, adding risks of oxidation and infection (even if you have a good process, the risk is higher than simply leaving in primary would be), without a definite improvement in the result?

I agree, no need for secondary.

In fact in the book "Yeast" Chris White says it actually takes longer to clear when transfering to a secondary.

Think about it. The yeast is slowly dropping out, but not all of it had dropped. So they are slowly working their way to the bottom. Transfering to a secondary mixes everything that is still in suspension and the poor yeasts have to start their trip to the bottom all over again. And the yeast that is still in suspension are the slow ones. The fast ones are already at the bottom.

I didn't use a secondary and this is by far the cloudiest beer I've made.
I will store it for another 4-6 months since I can't stand the taste from the Sladek hops lol.

lil.jpg

Did you make the recipe as originally posted?

Yes, but in a smaller volume than planned. I added the irish moss 5 minutes later than I supposed to, hence the hazyness... Even if the yeast flocculated well it didnt help.

Back