If you were a commercial brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HexKrak

Reaction score
Would you troll homebrewtalk for ideas? Do you think any of them do? Have you ever seen a commercial beer that closely resemebeled something you posted online (that wasn't you cloning theirs)?

Probably not. I would keep a copy of Brewing Classic Styles close, but only as a reference. If I am a craft brewer, I want people to love MY beer, not someone elses.

I imagine some of them may check out the recipes but not much else. Hopefully by the time you're operating at the commercial level, you already have your processes down.

if so, i hope a commercial brewery tries a sweet potato beer for thanksgiving! i always thought that could be an awesome beer flavor.

if so, i hope a commercial brewery tries a sweet potato beer for thanksgiving! i always thought that could be an awesome beer flavor.
The Bruery in california has that beer already covered for you. I believe it is called Autumn Maple. I hated it but the wife loved it.

I've always wondered how often,if at all, breweries get accused of ripping off another person's or another company's recipe. Though you can get creative, there is still a limit to the beer you can make with the finite number of ingredients, so it seems like eventually there would be some toe stepping going on, even if it wasn't intentional. Of course different people can make the same beer and it will always taste different, but the possibility remains. Maybe no one cares that much?

I just looked into the requirements to be licensed as a brewery. Wow. Hell no would I ever do it. I'm a gun and ammo manufacturer and I had less than 10% of the paperwork required that it takes to be a brewery. Simply unreal. The forms are outrageously intrusive. Required bonding, personal references, past employers for the previous 10 years, how you are financing the brewery, the design layout of the brewery. No joke I'm not making this up. I'm still shaking my head. :mad:

I got a recipe for a beer from a pro brewer and he refused to tell me where to even get the rare ingredient for fear that other breweries could get their hands on it as well. I understand his thought process, but I mean, I suspect that if other breweries wanted to source this stuff, they could call around and get it no problem.

I know some breweries seem to thrive on trying all kinds of wild and crazy ideas. Some others choose a recipe and do it very well all the time.

Would you troll homebrewtalk for ideas? Do you think any of them do? Have you ever seen a commercial beer that closely resemebeled something you posted online (that wasn't you cloning theirs)?
I'm a commercial brewer but I only read (not troll) for research into techniques. If I have a question that's bugging me, I search the forums and read up on the wealth of knowledge here.

The Bruery in california has that beer already covered for you. I believe it is called Autumn Maple. I hated it but the wife loved it.
I personally love that one!! I've had it twice (last year and once this year) and loved it both times.

I just looked into the requirements to be licensed as a brewery. Wow. Hell no would I ever do it. I'm a gun and ammo manufacturer and I had less than 10% of the paperwork required that it takes to be a brewery. Simply unreal. The forms are outrageously intrusive. Required bonding, personal references, past employers for the previous 10 years, how you are financing the brewery, the design layout of the brewery. No joke I'm not making this up. I'm still shaking my head. :mad:

That's just simply amazing...It makes no sense, but I'm not surprised one bit...

Back