If you haven't tried a munich smash, you should

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's darn tasty!

I'm calling mine a "SMaSH" with quotation marks because I know many wouldn't consider my recipe to be single malt. I used a little cara-munich to keep it from drying out too much. Here was my recipe:

10lb 12oz Light Munich (10SRM)
8oz Cara-munich (56SRM)

1oz Saaz @ 60 18 IBU
1oz Saaz @ 30 9 IBU

Safale K-97 (German Ale)
Got 82% efficiency on this one:
1.063->1.016 for 6.1% ABV

It is a nice dark amber color, almost ruby, and has a very sweet malty flavor with a crisp toasty malt finish, medium body, and is very clean on the palate. It is easy to drink a few of these in a row. It has given me a very clear understanding of what munich malt brings to a grist and it is generally what I had expected.

Thanks for the report. I've been thinking for a while about a munich SMaSH. So the 8 oz of caramunich is to add body/sweetness? I'm thinking I might try this with Tettnanger.

Thanks for the report. I've been thinking for a while about a munich SMaSH. So the 8 oz of caramunich is to add body/sweetness? I'm thinking I might try this with Tettnanger.

Yeah, I figured caramunich would add a similar character as the munich but in the form of unfermentable sugars. Tettnanger would be great I'm sure. Saaz is my favorite hop for most continental styles, I love the spiciness although it doesn't come through too much in this recipe.

Looks tasty! What brand of Munich did you use? And was that Caramunich Type III?

Some Lt. Munich malts are 6-row and I haven't used them as a large portion of the grist, I would think for a SMaSH you'd want to use one of the 2-row Light Munich malts. But again, I haven't tried a 6-row Munich SMaSH.

Weyerman light munich and whatever brand of caramel munich BMW sells. It doesn't specify on the website.
Weyermann Munich Type I is good stuff imo...but it's not 10L. It's more like 6L. The Munich Type II is closer to 9L. Here's the page if interested. EDIT: the Type II stuff has less DP, still enough to convert itself but just barely.

I'm finding more and more that I can't trust an HBS for the right numbers on the malt they sell. Maybe I just never noticed before.

Also, if it was Weyermann Caramunich Type III then 56L is about right. I have some Type II and it's more like 45L. Here's that page.

how long did you let it age? i recently made a vienna smash, its only been bottled few weeks though. Im not a big fan of it(although it does go down fast and easy) with the CL50 yeast, but its my first time using that yeast.
I havent tasted the other carboy i did with cream ale yeast yet.
edit: batch with cream ale yeast is awesome

I haven't used much Munich, or made that many lighter beers, so I have a question.....if you used a pils/german lager yeast with this recipie would this be catagorized as a kolsch/pilsner/etc. ? I was just looking through my grains today and happen to have about 15lbs of Munich 10L that needs used and this sounds like a great summer beer.

Mine didn't end up as light in color, 13.6 SRM according to beersmith. It is pretty dark.

Best I could figure, using german ale yeast this would be best classified as an altbier. With a lager yeast, it doesn't really fit another category any better.

Weyerman light munich and whatever brand of caramel munich BMW sells. It doesn't specify on the website.

From Ed at BMW:
The issue with the Munich malt is that we used to carry Gambrinus Light and Dark, but after many requests for a German Munich malt we changed over to the Weyermann Munich II as our lighter colored munich.

I've seen some Munich Dunkel recipes that are basically Munich malt SMaSHs with lager yeasts. Jamil's Dunkel recipe is all Munich with a few ounces of Carafa for color.

I'm sure someone said this already but i didn't feel like reading anything but the OP. I bet a "umptuple" decotion mash would be the berries.

I bet a "umptuple" decotion mash would be the berries.
Here's a Munich / Tett SMaSH with a double decoction (extended boil in decoction mash-out) to darken it into the Munich Dunkel range. Used Wyeast Munich Lager yeast.

Munich_Dunkel2.jpg

I haven't brewed in three months and this thread caught my eye as I was searching Munich malts. I think I'll give it a try with Nuggeet hops

Thanks for the inspiration! I'm brewing a Munich smash today. Doing it with mt hood hops...

Back