If you had to start all over. How would you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I moved about 6 months ago for work and have not brewed in that time. I normally have a 3 tier all grain set up that has recently come up missing. A lot of supplies was in two of the stainless kettles and they took both of them. All that remains is one 15 gallon aluminum kettle (may part ways with just to go with all stainless). So I'm taking this opportunity to get everything right the first time. I started working on a brutus 10 build before I took the new job and have the stand, burners, and hook ups for propane. Pretty much everything except the control box and pieces to build the control box.

I'm not sure what kind of kettles I want to go with. But I really like stainless. Any places where I can buy the kettles and needed plumbing and pumps in one kit? I don't want to spend a ton, but I like blichmans kettles.

Would you go for an semi-automated system or keep it simple? I am at the point where I could go either way.

I have debated on selling all the gas equipment and going electric. I have never brewed on an electric setup but it has some things I really like about it. Namely not burning propane or running out mid boil. Plus the thought of one day moving it indoors is nice. If electric, what tips can you give me?

I attached a picture of the brew stand after it was painted. It is a high heat paint made for burn off flares in refineries.

Thanks for any and all help.

IMG_2253.JPG

Personally, it all depends on your situation and what it allows you to do. Me, if I could the first thing I would do is go all electric and indoor brew - for oh so many obvious reasons. I can't however, so I still boil outdoors with propane. Works great though for me so long as the weather allows - one of the variables I could overcome with indoor electric brewing obviously :)

I think the thread title is a bit misfitting to your question though, but best of luck and I'll admit I'm jealous of the opportunity you have with your move! ;) even though you sadly took a loss :(

Rev.

Ya your probably right. Don't think I can edit the title now. I guess I also went with the assumption that people would spend more money the next go around. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that wouldn't change a thing. I guess I'm really wondering on if you guys would go bigger and spend some money or not change a thing. Would you be wanting to build a top notch system or keep your tried and true set up.

I can't decide one way or another on electric or propane. I can't brew indoors currently but I would like to one day. That puts electric at a slight lead I think.

I try and keep my brew setup as simple as possible. I love outdoor brewing, even in the frigid Chicago winters.

If I lost it all and had to start over, the first things I'd buy are a 50' IC and a chest freezer.

Then I'd start piecing together equipment from craigslist...

What are the issues that keep you from brewing indoors?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

The only thing I would change if I were to start buying stuff again is to go straight to 15 gallon kettles, Stout, Blichman, Brewers Hardware, Bru-Gear, etc. and possibly RIMS setup.

I just don't have room indoors currently.

I think I'm going back with 15 gallon kettles.

In texas its the 100+ degree heat I don't like dealing with. Although I'll be in Little Rock Arkansas for all of 2015 in a rent house for work.

Since you have been brewing already, you've already got the "bug" so my advice is to spend the money once and enjoy the brewing process. I'm cheap by nature and that translated into my brewing, at the beginning, and I pieced together my first all grain gas fired system with whatever I could find for as cheap as I could find. Not that the system was inferior, as many people know inexpensive systems makes great beer and DIY makes it even cheaper, but I was always wanting a little "more".

It has taken me a year now to finally go all electric (should be operational in a month) with my Stout kettles and HERMs setup and I wish I would have spent the money once from the start instead of buying one piece since it was cheaper, only to buy a more expensive version later. Now this all depends on budget, timeframe, desire but if you have the time to wait, I'd say write down everything you'd like your system to be (as you'll probably have this system one day) and ask yourself if you have the time to wait to build this system now.

In terms of one item that I would have wished I had from the start - counter flow chiller. Waiting 45 mins to chill 6 gals with my immersion (cheap 20ft 3/8" coil... Cause I was cheap...) is the part that I dread. I'm purposely not brewing again until I'm inside and can use my CFC.

Best of luck on the new build!!!

I basically did just start over from propane to electric and 2000 miles away, but I wish I had gone welded ports instead of weldless on my new tanks.

Why no paint? I only got this paint because I work in the coating industry. I was working at a painting shop talking to the owner who told me about this paint. They waited until they had extra paint while they were painting some flare stacks and sprayed the stand to. It took several months of waiting but they finally got it done. It should have no problem putting up with the heat at all.

Was it because of leaks or other reasons? That hadn't crossed my mind but I could see the benefit of going with welded ports.

Was it because of leaks or other reasons? That hadn't crossed my mind but I could see the benefit of going with welded ports.

Only a little at first, took a couple hours to leak test everything but now it's fine. With welded ports I could take everything apart for deep cleaning much easier, even better with triclover but that starts to cost some extra.

A great way to dabble with electric is to use a heat stick. I just finished a new propane stand, but don't even use propane at all 2 months later.

Back