If you had to buy two grains and two hops in bulk..what would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to stick with my first instinct, which is what many people have already recommended, and that's US 2-row and Mariss Otter for grain, and Cascade/Fuggle for hops. You just can't go wrong. I'm a big fan of blending my malts for browns and porters, doing something along the lines of 70/30 US/MO malt mix for my base. Yummy!

If you're planning to buy 2 lbs of Cascade, I recommend getting one each of Cascade and Centennial instead. Centennial is amazing, like Cascade, just more intense in every way. Both are must-haves in my house.

I ended up buying a pound of each....cascade, golding and centennial. My next purchase is a sack of us 2 row and a sack of maris otter....that should get me through a couple of recipes that I have made before.

I figure maybe some of you can throw some recipes my way. ;) I like ALES, IPA's, APA's, LAGERS....not too much into the really dark beer anymore.

Thanks for all the help!

Joe

what do you use the most? i'd definitely pick up your favorite 2 row, and 3 kinds of hops instead. either galena or magnum, and then 2 lower aa hop. i use cascade/centennial alot, but also like amarillo and simcoe... hmm....

I finally picked up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles. It is a fantastic book with more than 80 recipes each targeting the middle of a different style. I plan to make as many of these as possible. They can all be used as a good jumping off point to make your own recipes too.

I'm about to get Bulky as well! But instead of just doing two big sacks and choosing two hops why not buy one sack you'll always use (2row or MO)
and then getting 3 smaller sacks (10-20#) of others like crystal 60, munich, wheat, vienna....etc. This way you will always have the main ingredient and still be versatile enough to add a little something else in there without leaning on the LHBS too much.

And hops, like everyone's suggested, seem to have a ridiculous bulk price online so maybe I'll buy 4 or 5 pounds at once and then rub the hop bag all over my pillows for many sweet hop filled dreams to come! :mug::ban::mug:

Any thoughts on what would be good complimentary grains (smaller quantity sacks) to buy????

Back