If Society Took a Dump, Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunerunner

Reaction score
How much beer could you brew over the next year?

I've thought for some time that alcohol would be in demand if the SHTF. I have a stockpile of pail malts and specialty grains, two large propane tanks (enough to do 10, 20 gallon batches), and an assortment of dry yeasts.

Anyone else thinking this way?

I brewed a 5 gallon batch yesterday, am sparging for a 10 gallon batch today, and brewing a 5 gallon batch tomorrow ;)

I've thought for some time that alcohol would be in demand if the SHTF. I have a stockpile of pail malts and specialty grains, two large propane tanks (enough to do 10, 20 gallon batches), and an assortment of dry yeasts.

Not really.

Thank god it's not just me. SWMBO is obsessed by the apocalypse and it has rubbed off on me. When the zombies rise, I'm off to secure Simpson's maltings and loot all the supermarkets of sugar on the way down. It's all in the plan.

Thank god it's not just me. SWMBO is obsessed by the apocalypse and it has rubbed off on me. When the zombies rise, I'm off to secure Simpson's maltings and loot all the supermarkets of sugar on the way down. It's all in the plan.

That's funny Dan!! :D

No but with the proper firearms I can take over the nearest brewery.

its crossed my mind for sure, but in that event I'd be the guy making hooch with whatever is available, cause beer would be out of the question pretty quick. Then I realize I don't own a gun or have a stockpile of canned foods, and don't even own a garden. I wouldn't have much hope without doing some very bad things.

To the OP.......have you been reading One Second After? That book got me to thinking along these lines too. Like what skills do i have that would be useful or supplies available to help keep me and my family alive in an environment like that. It's interesting to think about it in a" thought experiment" sort of way. But could also be taken too far (see: paranoid freakout). Although i think beer brewing skills are good to have pre- or post-apocalypse. :)

Yeah we've been discussing this for years on here. Usually in terms of the coming zombipocalyps. Even the grocery and produce GAP thread is sort of about fermenting liquid with non-traditional ingredients. The main reason that beer, wines, meads, ciders...alcohol in general is so important to society after a collapse (or in the old days) is because nothing pathogenic can grow in them. People drank beer because water could kill them.....

So our knowlege will be extremely valuable, from a purely health and safety reason. Also basic knowlege of creating and distilling alcohol will be important too. In fact on the history channel's "The Colony" last season, one of the "survivalists" was a homebrewer and he made alcohol from a sugar wash and distilled it into fuel for their escape vehicle and for wound cleaning.

ANd like many of us have said on here for years, we can declare ourselves Kings of the sacred barleywater, and trade our wares for nubile slave women. ;)

To the OP.......have you been reading One Second After? That book got me to thinking along these lines too. Like what skills do i have that would be useful or supplies available to help keep me and my family alive in an environment like that. It's interesting to think about it in a" thought experiment" sort of way. But could also be taken too far (see: paranoid freakout). Although i think beer brewing skills are good to have pre- or post-apocalypse. :)

Just finished it! Going out to work on the old Land Rover, gotta get it running. "One Second After" freaked me out!! Can't stop thinking about it, so...:mug: :tank: :D

I might not be able to make good beer but with over 50,000 pounds of rye on hand, I'd bet on being able to make something alcoholic. My neighbor probably has 20,000 pounds of barley too so between the two of us, the neighborhood should be drinking for a while.

ANd like many of us have said on here for years, we can declare ourselves Kings of the sacred barleywater, and trade our wares for nubile slave women. ;)

'NOW' we're talking! That's the direction I'm planning for!
:mug:

Solar panels, wind generators, (or even better, a stream and a hydro generator) and deep cycle batteries would be 'very' valuable...

Latest posts

Back