If I'm able to boil 5 gallons of water..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy847

Reaction score
If I'm able to boil 5 gallons of water with my stove and a 6 gallon pot, does that mean I can bring the same amount of wort to boil? Or does boiling wort take more energy?

Sounds like you're on the right track - just keep in mind that, for a 5-gallon batch, you need to account for boiloff - something in the neighborhood of a gallon for a 60 minute boil.

But sounds like you're in good shape to do full-boil 4-gallon batches, if that's what you're after.

Sounds like you're on the right track - just keep in mind that, for a 5-gallon batch, you need to account for boiloff - something in the neighborhood of a gallon for a 60 minute boil.

But sounds like you're in good shape to do full-boil 4-gallon batches, if that's what you're after.

Thanks for the advice!
Will the last gallon of the 6 gallon pot be able to hold the hot break in?

You may have trouble with the hot break, I normally aim to get 6 gallons in the fermenter for 5 gallons of finished beer, so if you are boiling 5 gallons you will end up with less than 4 going into the fermenter when you account for the trub.
I don't put my trub into the fermenter btw

Thanks for the advice!

Will the last gallon of the 6 gallon pot be able to hold the hot break in?

I usually boil 6.5gallons in my 7.5gallon pot. I definitely recommend using fermcap S or some other foam control or be excessively vigilant on stirring to prevent boil over at least till you hit your hot break. Keeping a spray bottle on hand is also helpful. So it can be done with proper attention.

You might have issues with boil over in your 6 gal pot if you try to do a 5 gal boil; I have to be extremely careful when doing a 4 gal boil in my 6 gal pot. It can be done, but will be messy the second you look away.

What type of brewing are you doing?

Extract
BIAB
All Grain

If you are doing extract than there is nothing wrong with boiling 5 gallons and topping off with water in the fermenter to get back to 5 gallons.

You also have to remember that adding extract (liquid or dry) will increase your volume so you will actually be using less than 5 gallons of water.

Also, are you using a lid on your pot to get the water boiling?

Back