If I re-lived life I'be a hippy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stagnant thread. Doubt my one extra post will bring it back to life, but that would be cool, groovy really.

Since starting this thread, and a few others I think I've learned some stuff. I didn't know hippies stunk but it makes sense.. Living a gypsy style life probably takes a toll on body aromas, especialy being all natural and stuff.

I've also learned; as much as I want to contribute to the debate threads with logical, un-opinionated, unemotional well said educated responses. I fall way short. My responses are probably laughed at. I'm okay with that. I'm just being me. Luckily I don't include bad rhyming.

I've also come to the conclusion that there are many, many very talented brewers here. PP, once scolded me and said something like "Remember Dan, our #1 goal here is Brewing", which of course he was 100% correct about.

If it feels to you like I"m rambling; Right On.

In 2011 and 2012, I started a 3-4 threads that are still active today. Why do I say this to you? Well because I'm just another arogant bastige.. and to be quite honest. I've had to many beers tonight and am talking crap.

Here's a song. I hope you enjoy it and may peace and happiness; love and healing be all the days of your life...God that sounds so Soap Operish.

Let me just say, I hope for you good times, love and family in your life. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying "hippies stink" is kind of the same as saying "Conservatives are racist". Sure, some hippies do stink. So do some Conservatives. Not ALL hippies stink - I knew a bunch who were just as hygienic as anyone else. Sure, some Conservatives are racist, like the ones who called the new Miss America an Arab. Probably labeling any group with one label based on a single characteristic isn't a good idea. Well, unless it's an IPA. Those are all bitter. :D

Yeah, I like that song a lot and especially that version of it with Fred Tackett of Little Feat joining them on mandolin.

I met him last year after I took my 15 year old son to see Little Feat in Mobile. Fred was just hanging out in the lobby of the place that they played after the concert so I went up to him and told him that I enjoyed the show and introduced my budding guitarist son to him. He was very gracious and asked my son what kind of guitar he played and when my son told him that he has a Les Paul, Fred said, I have one of those too. They're pretty heavy" We laughed at that. I guess the weight of your guitar is important when you are an aging rock and roller.

I changed my avatar in the spirit of this thread, BTW. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/b-w-old-guy-avatars-434356/

I really wasn't sure where to put this post, but I think for some reason, this thread is appropriate.

Today is brew day. That makes me happy and sad at the same time.

About two weeks ago and old friend and shipmate passed away. Mike had been fighting cancer for about 4 years and finally lost the battle. He was a few years younger than me but he joined the Coast Guard a few months before I did and retired after 30 years of service in September. He was a W4 Bos'n, a Surfman who trained upcoming Surfmen at Cape Disappointment, an Officer in Charge as an enlisted man and a Commanding Officer as a Warrant Officer. He saved many lives and influenced even more young Coasties. He was a 6'7 gentle giant and I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him. He had been an avid Home Brewer, but hadn't brewed in a while. Over that last year or so, as we were both nearing retirement, he'd stop by my office or I would wander over to his and we had many discussion about brewing, the Coast Guard and life in general. Needless to say, I miss him greatly.

At his funeral his wife came up to me and told me that Mike wanted me to have his home brewing equipment. She told me that it was in her attic and said that she needed to go through the attic and clean it. I told her that I would do that for her, so last week when my oldest son had a day off school I took him over to her house and cleaned the attic. It was tough to got through the possessions of a man whose life so mirrored my own and I joked with my son that when I die he'll be doing the same thing in our attic.

In one corner of the attic was a treasure trove of home brewing supplies. Cornie kegs, keggles, kegging supplies, quick disconnects, chillers, a counterflow chiller and carboys and buckets. There was so much stuff I had a hard time getting it all in my car.

I am using some of that equipment today.

Mike had told me that his wife loved Raspberry Blonde Ales and one time he had a batch fermenting in his kitchen and the airlock got plugged up. Pressure built in the carboy and when the top blew off it spewed sticky raspberry beer all over his freshly painted kitchen ceiling and kitchen. He laughed and said that he conveniently had to go to work to respond to a search and rescue case leaving his wife to clean up the mess.

So in his honor and in thanks to his wife, my first brew using Mike's gear is "Repaint the Ceiling Raspberry Blonde Ale" that I will deliver to his wife when I get it bottled and aged

1378322_10201408337042428_975045260_n.jpg

I'm sorry to hear the loss of your shipmate, Shipmate.

I do not believe we will ever make as close of friends, family really, then the people with who we served. Not everybody understands the bond, we are not just fellow workers in a machine; we become family. Ah geez I sound all melodramatic but can't help myself; that's just how I am..

The Ale you are going to make in remembrance of your brother is a pretty damm cool idea, maybe the airlock will even clog up. :)

Peace and happiness to you and Mike and your family.

Peace, love, prosperity, happiness and health to all. Dream world maybe. May unity, respect, and excellence soon return to the USA.

This song kept playing in my head today.

And then you wake up in the morning with a hangover,feelin like 10 miles of bad road. Here's our old hippy remedy...
:D

May Your Glass be Filled... (interesting venue, for sure)

May your family share laughter
Your songs always play
May your wishes come true
Even those left unprayed
Hand on my shoulder
Gentle cloud on the hill
May your heart's doors be open
Forever and ever, may your glass, it be filled

[ame]http://youtu.be/HLNwhtv_AF8[/ame]

I think I started this thread because I am conflicted.

I spent a career in the military. A threat, that's what we were. A power presence.

Not really sure I still agree with that.

Hippys? They just want peace and love and to share VD together

Probably not true either.

I figure, Man just loves to think they are right. War comes eaisily with a bunch of testosterone

Seems there are extremes. Either my dick is bigger than yours or whatever. I have know idea why we as a people can not get along and accept each other as brothers. Must be just us man are very weak and we make up for it through our insecurity. Then we just make war with each other.

Hell, I made a good living in the military... Would be really great as a world if we just got over our hate of each other and built a wonderful world. I think our current president is a fool, liar, piece of garbage. Makes me no less effefed up than him. I will take a side and fight if I'm put in that situation. But why the hell should I be put in that situation. Man kind is screwed overall. To much of us think we are perfect. Hope, reallyh hope, heavean is not like this. We as people prettty much just selfish idiots.

Who among us doesn't love? Babel. We were all lost at Babel.

Go eat icecream

With thoughts like those,dan,you'll likely enjoy my book when it comes out. Dystopian sci-fi that extrapolates on current events,conspiricies,etc to the near future. And how my main character & his lil group solve the problems of this F'd up world. Hoping to get the first draft done by the end of next month.

Back