If i don't use a secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Loomer

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to the forums so apologies if this has already been covered but how long should I keep my beer in the primary if i don't use a secondary? also, if going sright from primary to bottles do i need to add sugar?

I am making an english style ale which is not particularly trong

Thanks

Reaction score
A minimum of two weeks in primary. Use a hydrometer to really know when it's ready to be bottled. If you're at your target final gravity, bottle away.

Yes, you'll need to use priming sugar when bottling from any vessel, primary or secondary. The yeast need something to chomp on.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Many of us who don't secondary leave our beers in primary for three to four weeks. I leave 95% of my beers in primary for a month, then bottle.

Search for "long primary", or "no secondary" and you will see the 10,000 or so discussion on this..And the reasons why we do so...and the discussions debunking the threat of autolysis in such a short time.

Welcome by the way.

:mug:

And yes you need to add sugar to carbonate your beer.

OP
L

Loomer

Reaction score
Wow, that was quick.

Many thanks for your replies

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The only time I put beer into a secondary vessel other than a Keg is if I am going to dry hop, add extras such as coffee, fruit, wood etc... but I would never use a secondary to do what the primary can do.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Going straight from primary to bottles by way of a bottling bucket, you mean....

Mixing sugar into your primary will just stir up your yeast sediment. ;)

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Oh, so funny. Only the 4,503,492nd time that joke's been used.:p
I just jammed a pencil through my computer screen where your Red Sox logo is. Man they suck:p! Go Tribe!!!
:off::off: