If I didn't know better, I would swear this was lager yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time brewing a Kolsch, the only grain is Malz German Pilsner Malt. (Yeast is Safale 04)
Take a look at the pics, one is a close up of the bottom that has a good 3" of very active, bubbling layer that is "erupting" little plumes of debris.
The 2nd pic is the top...which only has bubbles.
I have never seen this before. Maybe because being only a Pilsner malt, and being quite clear I can see the bottom much more than usual and it has always been there, just not being able to see it.

Take a look... this is the 3" thick very active, frothy bottom.

Bottom.jpg

And the top... mostly just bubbles

top.jpg

A kolsch - with S04? Interesting.
Certainly doesn't look much like any S04 batch I've brewed which run at 66°F always are topped with a really thick head.
What temperature are you running this at?

Cheers!

No...dang it, my typo - Safale 05.
The ambient temp is 62, the ferment strip is I would say 66-67

Edit:
Oh for Christ sake... the recipe was S-05... I grabbed the wrong package.
Well... 04 indeed drops faster than 05.
Well this might be an interesting beer.

Last edited:
Hah! I'm pretty sure I've done that at least once - I had a stout finish a bit drier than normal and totally missing the S04 esters, and when I checked my dry yeast stash realized I had pitched US-05. I still think US-05 should be in the blue packet and S04 in the red :D

On the up side, if it topped out around 67°F you ran the S04 in its best range, imo.
But imo neither of those strains can make a relatable kolsch...

Cheers!

Hah! I'm pretty sure I've done that at least once - I had a stout finish a bit drier than normal and totally missing the S04 esters, and when I checked my dry yeast stash realized I had pitched US-05. I still think US-05 should be in the blue packet and S04 in the red :D

On the up side, if it topped out around 67°F you ran the S04 in its best range, imo.
But imo neither of those strains can make a relatable kolsch...

Cheers!
This is my first Kolsch... what strain have you used?

Okay so tasting the first glass...and it indeed has a hint of the banana esters from S 04. A very slight sour note that you sometimes get from this yeast... hoping that drops out.

Back