If I buy liquid yeast, do I have to make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pressure-canned 6 or 7 pints of starter last month using some old LME from the freezer, so I'll always have some on the shelf and ready to go. It was pretty easy to do.

what about canning LME? I have an old Kit-in-a-Can that is really out of date. I don't care about the date as all I want is the maltose. I have successfully saved a few oz of LME previously made it into a starter and was very happy with the results.

Now this is a 3.3 lb can, and my thought is to break this into quart jars / pint jars and place in refrigerator to use what I need after being canned. I can't find anything about canning LME or honey for storage, or what length of time the weight should rock on the valve. I wasn't going to dilute this LME for space reasons.

some people feel that with such a high sugar content that pressure canning isn't necessary. I'd prefer to avoid any thought of botulism, and would greatly appreciate any feed back

thanks for your time

Back