if hosting a party, what beer do usually serve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
if hosting a party, what commercial beer do you usually buy and have available? besides hombrew. good beer can get very expensive if your have a lot of people over. i usually end up getting budwieser, hieniken, and then usually becks or warstienner

If your guests aren't beer snobs or EACs, go cheap. If they are, you'd better have a few kegs of IPA, Stout, APA, Lager, Wit, and something Scottish or Irish on tap or else suffer the consequences.

I buy a lot of BMC, then a few craft brews that are reasonably priced (stuff I know that I like or want to try). Most of my friends stick with the BMC. Some branch out to the commercial craft brews. Those same few drink my homebrew as well. The truth is, most of my friends are proud to drink REALLY cheap beer. So, I leave them to it.

I usually serve BYOB

Or...Killian's if I'm feeling generous. Lately been buying AmberBock instead though

Homebrew only. Someone else can bring the BMC.:)

BMC is cheaper, and we're in tough times. I'll supply some homebrew, but unless it's a "BYO Ingredients," party, they're mostly on their own for craft brew.

Times are tough around here. Maybe when my wife goes back to work I'll throw extravagant parties again. For now though, it's BMC, limited HB, and some store-bought craft.

Every party we have here, people bring their own. If I have something I've made that I want people to drink, I'll let them know.

With my group of friends a keg of Miller Lite keeps them happy. I few of them will drink a few homebrews but most are quite happy to gulp down as much BMC as possible.

Bah. None of my friends drink good beer. I might have labatts, heiney, whatever, but more often than not, they bring what they want to drink. One friend of mine sometimes make it for a party, and he brings his own IPA. That's pretty much all he drinks.

I serve up homebrew. Those that don't like it know to bring their own.

I do the same but I've had a 1/2bbl of Bud Light on tap for going on a year in June. Anyone who wants BL gets that. No one has said anything other than Thanks.

Anyone who doesn't want homebrew brings their own malternative beverage and they always leave a few until next time in the bottle fridge.

They are always there when they come back. :cross:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopyKat
Homebrew only. Someone else can bring the BMC.:)

BMC is cheaper, and we're in tough times. I'll supply some homebrew, but unless it's a "BYO Ingredients," party, they're mostly on their own for craft brew.

Because I buy in grain & most hops in bulk use natural gas burners and yeast farm, my party homebrew is really cheap. Biermunchers Centennial or my own Amaizing Ale or the like are cheap and the crowd likes it. And since I like to brew and limit myself to a pint a day, it works out fine.

The 'cheapest' I'd go is Sam Adams. Under no circumstances would I ever go BMC. Folks who come over know the code, if they want colored water, they bring it themselves, but most don't.

And absolutely NO lite beer ever. Lite beer = Be Gone!

BTW, I'm currently unemployed (in the midst of a career change by choice) and certainly am on an austerity budget. But there are some things you just can't compromise!

Definitely BYO around here. But I can see where BYOB versus serving your friends would be an age thing. I'm 26 and so are my friends +-1-2 years for the most part. But I could definitely see as I get more in to brewing and buying ingredients in bulk and build a larger pipeline , I would offer all 3 taps to a party. But as of now we haven't had any party's since I opened the keezer for business. But if we have another couple or two over everyone is always welcome to as much as they want. I do plan on brewing up 10-15 gallons for a Summer party (disguissed as my son's 1st birthday..shh don't tell my wife) for the general public. Probably 10G of a something like BM's 3 crop and 5 of either a wit or pale ale.

When we have friends and family over, I usually lay in a case of PBR longnecks to go with my own beer. My American Rye pale ale (in my dropdown) has become my house beer, so it's just about always on tap.

Personally, I drink the PBR too. It's good, cheap, lawnmower beer, and saves the good stuff for savoring.

I put out an assortment. I'll get a couple of mixed 12pks of something like Sam Adams, Harpoon, Saranac, etc. Then I'll have some of my brew available for "the inner circle." Parties are also a good time to empty all the random beers that people have left in my fridge that I probably won't drink.

A lot of my friends don't drink or drink very little so for the 1 or two parties I have a year it is homebrew or soda. I do try to have a variety on tap though, something really light and a good dark chewy stout. I've found a lot of my friends like the stout though they won't drink any other beer.

Bell's Best brown ale. It has been a hit every time. :mug: Even the BMC crowd liked it after a couple, they are typically after the buzz anyways, not the flavor.:drunk:

Bell's Best brown ale. It has been a hit every time. :mug: Even the BMC crowd liked it after a couple, they are typically after the buzz anyways, not the flavor.:drunk:

I tried this in Athens a couple weekends ago. good Stuff. Then again I expected nothing less coming from bells

I usually have a mix of homebrew and commercial at a party. But these aren't raging keggers where everyone gets smashed and passes out on the lawn. Only a few pints for a medium size of friends and neighbors. One of my friends is into bringing over an assortment of 22 ouncers. Last time we had Full Sail Imperial Stout, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, Ninkasi Oatis Stout, Laurelwood Red, Double Bastard, Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (by Unibroue), and the two homebrews on tap. I think it was a great tasting party.

BMC almost never makes it into my house, but there's some Miller Lite in the cabinet because someone left it after a party. It's slug bait now.

Many people here drink the local equivalent of BMC which is Lone Star or Lone Star Light. We have a little of this for those people. We also have whatever homebrew we have on hand, and wine. If people want other things they bring their own. We are having a birthday party in May for HWMBC and we are having some variety. I have on hand a case of blonde, two cases of cervesa, and have a 10 gallon batch of ED Worts cream of three crops in the fermenter, going to get it bottled in time for the party, oh and Apfelwein. Also made some hard limeaid for the margarita lovers, it was quite hot when I bottled it so I am hoping it smooths out a little. But anyone who has speicific taste ususally bring their own.

Cream Ale, Steam Beer, American Wheat, German Wheat and usually something dark just for fun...like a light stout.

All homebrew. All the time. If people want crap beer, they can bring it themselves.

Serve? Pfft, they can bring their own beer if they want to drink. I'll pass out a few of my brews if they want to try it but, I'm not going to support their habit. I have a hard enough time supporting my own.
I will feed them though.

people always end up bringing their own beer, so I just let them do that. Plus they can drink what they like. Now if someone brings natty light they will have to leave that in their car.

Last time I had a get together I had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stout, Porter, and Barleywine. The guests brought over some Saporo, Full Sail, Fat Tire and other misc. goodness. Usually everyone agrees to bring over what they like and then we all try each others out. :mug:

Last time I had a party I served BMC's and box wine.... but my friends brought Scotch and fine wines.

I have good friends!!

I buy a Natty Light or Busch Keg, make sure some of my friends are there and place an old Bud Light cap on the keg so they think it is bud light. It's an old trick I learned in college when we used to buy Honey Brown.

I always have a fridge full of homebrew bottles. So far my Vanilla Stout was a huge hit along with my IPA but I haven't had any parties here lately.

must of my freinds are into craft beer, when they come down for derby this year, i'll have 3 beers on tap, plus others in bottles. i just got the kegerator going, but i'll have an APA, ESB and a blonde ale on tap, plus an IPA, IIPA, APA, Stout and a few Red Ales in bottles. those last three i dont have many left. but it should be a good time. other times we have people over, i dont mind if people drink my homebrew, most will bring some local craft beer or something decent like SNPA and they seem to leave a bottle or two.

I have a few regular guests who understand good beer. They will bring along some local craft brews (and count on me serving my home brews, which are generally pale ales). For other folks, especially if it's summer, I will have Corona Light. Those a great party beers - on a hot day they go down easy in large quantities without getting anyone loaded, and you don't have to listen to that Miller Lite/Coors Light discussion.

Usually it's a good time here. Mixed 12's of Arcadia, Magic Hat, Redhook, mixed 6's of.....everything, and good ol' home brew. I'll usually buy a mixed 12, grab 6-8 bottles of home brew, and let the guests bring mystery beer. Usually end up with a round of "taste this, now try this one" and get quite inebriated by the time the party is done. Good times

Back