If Bart Simpson Helped With My First AG Batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
bartsimpsongeneratorphp.gif

...that went on until 3am last night, he would probably write the following things on the blackboard:

-I will not start a wheat beer without a proper mash schedule. My efficiency was sub-par and I suspect I need more rests. It was a heavy dose of flaked wheat and I think there is a lot of room for improvement.

-I will not start brewing at 9pm on a Monday. 9pm on a Thursday, maybe, but there are just too many work days left right now.

-I will not mash without a proper volume scales on my brew pot. It was new and difficult to figure out how much each batch was pulling out.

-I will not guesstimate how many ponds of 2-row I am using. I bought my first bulk bag and didn't think to also pick up a scale.

-I will not underestimate the sheer volume of fuel it takes to boil five gal of water on a small gas stove. (And I really need some help here, I'm not even sure I could get six boiling at this point, how 'rolling' am I shooting for here?)

-(That being said) I will not move into an apartment that makes me pay my own gas bill any time soon.

-I will find a better way to use the wort chiller water. It was my first time with this tool as well and I need to figure out how to help my conscience out. I was able to clean the tun but could probably find other uses for it in my tiny apartment.

-I will not stop perfecting my AG methods. Even with the troubles, errors and disappointing efficiency, I had a blast doing and am definitely making beer that is more like what I hoped I could create when I started this whole thing.

I would love any suggestions you all have for me, thanks for your help anyway, I would have never been able to get started on this without the help of this board.

As far as the chiller item goes, get/make a recirculating chiller. Which is basically two chiller coils, a pump and a pot of ice water.

And yes, starting a 9PM was a bit late if you had to work the next day.

-I will not start a wheat beer without a proper mash schedule. My efficiency was sub-par and I suspect I need more rests. It was a heavy dose of flaked wheat and I think there is a lot of room for improvement.[/QUOTE]

I lose about 5-8% efficiency with 50% flaked wheat grist without a protein rest.

[QUOTE]
-I will not mash without a proper volume scales on my brew pot. It was new and difficult to figure out how much each batch was pulling out.[/QUOTE]

[img]https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/DSC01692.JPG
and
DSC01679.JPG

(wish I had this for my first few AG batches)

Nice, that's a very simple/good solution. I'll work on that tonight.

I'm looking forward to getting a second shot at this over the weekend, definitely going to write down a detailed mash schedule.

At what temperature did you D'oh! in?

This could mean a lot of things but for the record I used BierMuncher's blueballs schedule:

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.50 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 3.00 gal of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

Back