Idophor - overnight? no good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have a bucket with Idophor and water for sanitizing. Just before I start company comes.

Will a bucket with Idophor sit overnight or start over?

It might stay overnight.. check the color in the morning and see if it's still that tan color.

it's so cheap though, why not just make a new batch and be sure?

I agree with boogyman - just make a new batch. I've left it overnight before, and have always added in some more just to be safe.

I was switching from One Step but the LHBS did not carry Star San YET.

I just kept some bottles and equipment in teh bucket overnight. Just curious on how long it is good in an open container.

It goes clear when inactive?

Overnight and sealed in a bucket it should be fine...But f the color faded then so did it's efficacy.

Though you can always "prime" it back to full strength if the color has faded by adding some more iodophor to the bucket when you are ready to use it.

Though you can always "prime" it back to full strength if the color has faded by adding some more iodophor to the bucket when you are ready to use it.

which is the same as making a new batch, right Revvy? (just giving you a little crap Rev!)

I had something really interesting happen recently. I was cleaning a pretty heavily gunked up carboy with Oxyclean and hot water. I used WAY more Oxyclean than was needed to try to expidite the process. It was doing a real good job of cleaning off the gunk and I get the genius idea that I'm going to add some Iodofor at the same time to try to kill two birds with one soak. So I give a good long squirt into the carboy and the color disappeared within seconds! It went in, swirled all around, you could see the whisps of Iodofor whirling around in the moving water and you could watch teh color disappear. I don't mean it disippated or mixed in, it melted away. Disappeared. I did it a few more times just cause it was cool to watch and then decided I was just wasting the Iodophor so I stopped. I don't know it the Iodophor was still bacteriostatic at that point so I finished with the Oxy bath and scrub and then refilled with fresh water for the Iodophor.
I don't know what there is to learn from this but it was cool to watch.

PTN

I had something really interesting happen recently. I was cleaning a pretty heavily gunked up carboy with Oxyclean and hot water. I used WAY more Oxyclean than was needed to try to expidite the process. It was doing a real good job of cleaning off the gunk and I get the genius idea that I'm going to add some Iodofor at the same time to try to kill two birds with one soak. So I give a good long squirt into the carboy and the color disappeared within seconds! It went in, swirled all around, you could see the whisps of Iodofor whirling around in the moving water and you could watch teh color disappear. I don't mean it disippated or mixed in, it melted away. Disappeared. I did it a few more times just cause it was cool to watch and then decided I was just wasting the Iodophor so I stopped. I don't know it the Iodophor was still bacteriostatic at that point so I finished with the Oxy bath and scrub and then refilled with fresh water for the Iodophor.
I don't know what there is to learn from this but it was cool to watch.

PTN

Hmmm I wonder what chemical reaction was taking place there, I'd not do stuff like this too often in case you're using chlorine based cleaners, you might see a green or brown gas coming off.....that wouldn't be good.

Back