Idophor Cleanse and Sanitize Quetions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limprizol

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions and i am sorry to beat a dead horse but i have done a bunch of research and i am getting varied opinions so i figured i would just ask. I was using a one step, and bleach vinegar solution to cleanse and sanitize as well as dish soap but i just bought BTF - Idophor and am going to start using that.

1. Is 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of water the correct amount?
2. Is 2 Ml Appropriate for making a 1 liter spray bottle?
3. Is Idophor Reusable, if i make five gallons in the fermenter to sanitize can i then put that in a spray bottle to use?
4. If i were to wash everything with dish soap and water - then just spray everything down with the idophor solution would that be enough to cleanse and sanitize everything
5. How long will Idophor stay good for in a bottle before it is no longer effective?
6. Does the brand or type of dish soap you use matter, is there a preferred one among brewers?

Thank you so much in advance and sorry for the repetitive questions, hopefully this will help other people as well.

Yeah, you are beating a dead horse...The info's all through here.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

(I've been waiting for someone to use that phrase, since I found that picture.:D)

This thread should answer all your questions. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932&highlight=sanitizer+question

also in the thread is the link to the Basic Brewing Podcast on sanitizing with iodophor.

And if you still have questions, one of these threads should answer it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/gtsear...6893:xvnx8yvgpla&cof=FORID:11&q=iodophor#1244

We don't use dishoap as a rule. It really bad on head retention...Rather most of us use oxyclean to clean...

Here's everything on oxyclean https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1989000

1. Is 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of water the correct amount?
2. Is 2 Ml Appropriate for making a 1 liter spray bottle?
3. Is Idophor Reusable, if i make five gallons in the fermenter to sanitize can i then put that in a spray bottle to use?
4. If i were to wash everything with dish soap and water - then just spray everything down with the idophor solution would that be enough to cleanse and sanitize everything
5. How long will Idophor stay good for in a bottle before it is no longer effective?
6. Does the brand or type of dish soap you use matter, is there a preferred one among brewers?

1. A tablespoon is 15mL, can't recall offhand what the recommended dosage is but this seems close
2. I use about 1mL, which is still a bit strong
3. It is reusable on the brewday and for a couple of days after
4. Technically yes, but I agree that dishsoap is not really the way to go, it's quite hard to rinse off and will affect head retention. Oxyclean is the word you'll hear most often here for a cleaner.
5. That depends on the bottle. Dilute iodophor tends to leave solution and both soak into the plastic and get oxidized by air infiltration through the plastic. Pour some into a white bowl, if the solution is still tan, it's likely ok, if it's clear, it's lost its effectiveness. It might last longer stored in glass, but it's also dirt cheap and easy to make fresh.
6. Oxyclean

Thank you very much for the replies, i will try to us oxyclean. I wanted to try to stay away from it because i used it or something similar to clean bottles with and it took forever to get the white film off.

Only because of the post subject, I make this clarification:

cleansing and sanitizing...two completely different things.

oxy-clean FREE shouldn't leave much residue, and is good for CLEANING...and should be rinsed since its a cleanser.

iodiphor or star-san is the sanitizer...DO NOT RINSE it.

cleanse first...sanitize right before use. its best to clean stuff right after you use it, so you need only sanitize the next time you wanna use it.

Back