idk what type this is but it is good and random

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnadamn

Reaction score
So a couple of weeks ago we had a day off from school at UW-Milwaukee due to snow, so with all this free time I had I figured I should brew. Only problem was I didnt have much for ingredients and the roads were too bad to go to the brew stores which I frequent so I decided I would just throw some stuff together and see how it turned out. To my suprise, the beer I have is amazing, not really something i would drink all the time, but a very good beer none the less. So I thought that I would share the recipe with you guys. If you could give me some help classifying it that would be great!

3lb wheat lme
1lb light dre
3lb wildflower honey
3 Green tea with lemon and ginsing packets
3 vanilla beans cut into 1/2 in pieces
1oz cascade bittering
.5oz columbus flavoring

I Threw the tea packets in with 1.5 gal water and turned on the heat. Once my temp hit 170 I added the vanilla beans. Upon reaching the boil I added the malts and honey and when boil was again reached I added the cascade and started the clock. Once the schedual was completed, I cooled in the bathtub and added another 2 gallons of water. My original gravity was at 1.071 which was a little higher then I was aiming but figured I had a day off from school, why not go strong?. Anyway, the yeast I decided to use was bread yeast as well, I buy yeast as needed and couldnt get to the store... The yeast was thrown in with a starter that was about1/4lb wheat dme and 3 cups water.

after about 4 days in the fermenter The airlock stopped going, so i racked to a secondary. This gravity reading hit 1.008 so I figured there still might be some to go and let it sit for about 2 weeks which is where we are now. I have a final gravity of 1.002 which is a little higher then we have been getting in our house (there are 6 pple brewing in both apts combined), but i figured that it was pretty much dead.

At this point I bottled and tasted... WOW, the flavors produced were very complex but not at all overpowering. It had just the right amount of sweetness to counteract the hops. I look at this brew as something that would be good for someone who is just starting to try homebrew or for those times u just want something thats totally different but I will most definatly brew this again. I cant wait to see how it ages

This sounds like a very nice combination of spices for a Special Braggot or mead with ale and spices. sounds wonderful with the lemon and ginsing

Back