Idiot beer snobs-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few weeks ago I hosted a beer tasting/pairing at the store where I work. One of the people in attendance and I got to talking and I ended up finding out he just started homebrewing.

The other day he was back in the store and we got to talking about beer. Then in an attempt to impress me he says "yeah I tell all my friends not to drink BMC those guys just dump whatever they can find into their beer. Have you ever seen beer wars? Budweiser is evil."

At which point I felt the need to make him feel a little stupid by explaining how difficult it is to make that style of beer. And while it may not be to my taste they make it because people like it.

Have you ever seen beer wars? Budweiser is evil."

At which point I felt the need to make him feel a little stupid by explaining how difficult it is to make that style of beer. And while it may not be to my taste they make it because people like it.

Things I consider evil- murder, rape and molestation, torture. Budweiser... Not quite in the ball park. Unless it's warm- then budweiser is torture to drink but still.

And yes they are very hard to make. You would think that might garner some repsect.

I'll say it. I'm a beer snob. I don't like light American lagers and will literally drink water before I drink those unless it's something I brewed. I usually drink water above anything else anyway, but if that's the only selection I'll be a designated driver. If that makes me a d-bag so be it, but I'm not going to act like I enjoy a beer that I don't just to appease someone who does.

I understand the skill involved in making that style and I'll brew that style again in the future just to improve on my brewing skills, but I don't like it and won't buy that style of beer. If that pisses you off you need to chill the eff out.

Fortune cookies we invented in San Francisco. Therefore, not Chinese.

There's another thread about this kind of thing....

Anyway, I need a beer that I can taste and feel. I don't need a malt beverage like a Zima, which BMC closer to than beer.....

So what if I'm a snob? So was Benjamin Franklin, and he was pretty cool.

Just because we are very discriminate about what kind beer we drink, doesn't make us snobs. IMO, a snob is somebody who looks down on someone else with contempt because that person has different tastes that the snob deems inferior or uneducated. If somebody wants to drink nothing but Bud for the rest of their life, fine with me. If I get them to try a "good" beer and they don't like it, fine, it's not for them, they have a right to choose what pleases them, not others.

Also, because xkcd came up... for those who don't read the strip regularly, hover your cursor over the comic to get a secondary comment.

xkcd is one of my favorite webcomics; they rock.

Thanks for the heads up on the hover and for xkcd itself...I just spent a good hour laughing my a** off...and learned a thing or 2...all from stick figures? Sweet

My unsolicited two cents worth - I could really care less WHO makes my beer/food/fortune cookies, as long as I like the taste. I dislike BMC strongly, because almost every one of their beers tasted like pi$$ to me, which the exception of AB's Winter Bourbon Cask Ale. Greatest winter beer ever, in my opinion, and really hard to find. If they made more beers that I enjoyed, I'd gladly give them my money. So it goes elsewhere, and more and more of it is going to local brews (Rahr, Real Ale, Shiner) while we get our pipeline built.

I never met a beer I didn't like, well at least once, it's all about the experience for me. I just wish I had a better memory:D. I love the fact that if I'm low on homebrew and $6 in my pocket there are enough cheap brews out there that I have multiple selections to choose from to make it interesting.

Some would argue that life is too short to drink cheap swill, I say life is too short not to try them all.:mug:

Stone's description of their Arrogant Bastard is the epitome of how I feel about good beer:

"This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!"

Hilarious!

However, I do not have anything against anybody for what they drink. To each his own. I hope you all enjoy your beverage, whatever it may be! :mug:

Damn capitalist pigs! How dare they take advantage of the free market and profit. We should nationalize In-Bev. That would show em.

so when a big name beer company pays for the tap system at an establishment with the contractual agreement that only their beers will be pouring from the spouts, that is not strong-handing the market?

so when a big name beer company pays for the tap system at an establishment with the contractual agreement that only their beers will be pouring from the spouts, that is not strong-handing the market?

Nope. Nobody made that establishment take the free tap. They could have done just like anyone else and paid for the damn thing.

Cry me a river. This **** gets old. If you don't like the free market, perhaps you should find a different place to live?

BTW, I've basically never been to a bar that didn't carry both miller and bud on tap. So which beer company got the contract????????/

1) The imposition of a state mandated third tier prevents the liquor industry from being a free market.
2) If you refuse to put on a macro from a particular distributor,you're probably going to lose access to their entire craft and import portfolio. In many cases that includes local breweries.

What I laugh at is the people on here that say than can detect the slightest, most subtle flavor in a dark beer caused by a hop strain, yeast strain, ester, etc etc etc.

Then say all light lagers taste the same :D

No, that's what is called negotiating a fvaorable and lucrative contract. All is fair so long as no laws are broken. It's not their fault that Bud Light is the most popular beer in the world. No one is forced to buy their product.

It's illegal for the distributor to supply certain things to the retailer. Here, I picked OH because I knew nothing about them.

No retail permit holder shall acquire by purchase, either directly or indirectly, or by any means whatsoever, any signs, fixtures, furniture, or other equipment used in connection with the conduct of the retail business from any manufacturer or wholesale distributor of alcoholic beverages at a cost less than the full cost to the manufacturer or wholesale distributor.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4301:1-1-43

I'd link to the full Crain's source, but it's behind a pay wall:

http://www.thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php?topic=7680.0
Similarly, a former employee of Four Corners Tavern Group tells Crain's that Chicago Beverage agreed to pay Four Corners at least $30,000 to get tap space in its bars and to keep Budweiser out for a year. Four Corners operates the Brownstone, West End, Schoolyard, Gaslight, Sidebar, Kirkwood, Benchmark and Crossing bars on Chicago's North and Near West sides. Four Corners is an Illinois corporation owned by Matthew Menna, and Mr. Menna is listed as an officer of several of the bars, state records show.

If it wasn't for the alcohol regulatory laws preventing brewers from selling directly to customers I wouldn't have the same disdainful feelings I have for the big 3.

Drink what you like and give the one finger salute to those who criticize your tastes. Big company brew, micro brew, home brew - JUST HAVE A BREW!

Agreed! At the moment I've got the following in the house:

My Blonde Ale
Sierra Nevada Summerfest
Miller Lite :cross:

And . . . . Wait for it . . . .

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat! :eek:

Back