Identifying off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
Am I the only one who has trouble identifying off flavors? I know there are extensive lists of off flavors with words like "cidery" and "butterscotch" and stuff, but I have a lot of trouble nailing down any of the 4 or 5 off flavors I've noticed in homebrews. None of them (except for "cardboard") have I been able to match with any of the off-flavors on those lists. Anybody else have that problem?

Well, there is a whole beer judging program where people spend lots and lot of time learning to taste subtle flavors - both positive and negative. It really doesn't come naturally to most people.

If you really want to learn them, you should try an exaggerated version of the flaw. Once you taste the extreme version a couple times, your taste buds will zoom in on the subtle version MUCH easier. It's kinda like trying to tell someone what bubblegum tastes like. It's pretty challenging to describe, but once you've tasted it, you'll know that flavor anywhere.

Of course, most people don't want to purposely brew bad beer just to learn about flaws. You might want to search around your local brewstore and see if anyone does classes on the topic. One of the ones in town does a "Tasting off flavors" class once a year or so.

I think it helps the more variety of beers you consume and the more experience you get tasting different styles and beers from all over, you begin to discern a particular flavor when it creeps into a beer. Not all flavors are necessarily bad or out of style but I do come across a great many identified by the bjcp and several authors like John Palmer. Being a part of a bottle sharing club is a great way to get some tasting exposure to a lot of beers without spending a ton of money.

If you're in a club and can offset the cost between a few people, The Siebel Institute in Chicago sells an off flavor training kit. They send you concentrated vials of flawed flavors and you mix it into something like Bud Light. The kit is amazing and is what the BJCP classes use for training... http://www.siebelinstitute.com/

If you're in a club and can offset the cost between a few people, The Siebel Institute in Chicago sells an off flavor training kit. They send you concentrated vials of flawed flavors and you mix it into something like Bud Light. The kit is amazing and is what the BJCP classes use for training... http://www.siebelinstitute.com/

Wow, that's a lot of money for only 6 different flavor identifiers.

Back