Identifying hops picked near Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle_g

Reaction score
I picked these guys from a friend's house around the Seattle area, and haven't been able to pin down what they are. I'd like to know before brewing with them. Tasting while still fresh they seemed far more bitter than the Cascades I had in the freezer. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Kyle

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

You'll have to send me a pound or two to be properly identified. I'll waive the identification fee since it's your first time.

Other than sending them off for laboratory testing, there's really no way to identify them accurately.

I'd make a small batch of pale ale, bitter it with something neutral, and use these hops in a massive hop-stand to get a handle on the flavour. Aside from said laboratory testing (which is NOT cheap) you'll never know the AA% so bittering with them might not be a good idea. Then again, small test-batches could give you a general idea of that, too...

That being said, I will also volunteer to do some "filed testing" if you want send 6-8 oz. my way.

:D

You'll have to send me a pound or two to be properly identified. I'll waive the identification fee since it's your first time.

Me TOO!!

Seriously though, I would probably try some in a one gallon brew as a single hop.........You may not actually ever identify it. There are number of ornamental hops that were never intended as brewing hops. What matters is weather they make good beer. I would assign an AA of 10 for starters, and brew for an IBU in the 40's or 50's on that basis.....If the AA is higher, you're going to have an IPA, but if it's lower, you are still going to have a non-bland beer. If you brew a parallel batch with no hops at all, or just flavor and aroma additions, you can blend to find a happy medium. This is a perfect situation for brewing with DME..... quick and easy. Get several one gallon plastic mayonaise bottles, and use them for ferementers just covering them with foil......... keep it simple.

H.W.

My plan was to brew a little 2-row and Belgian wheat ale with it. Im thinking Columbus to bitter, then flavor with mystery hop. I've got about 10oz, so we'll see what we get.

Back