Identifying an off-flavour and its cause

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalations

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I've been brewing for a couple of months and I've made many successful brews. This is indeed an addicting hobby. One particular brew has been puzzling me for a while because of its off-flavour. I would very much like to identify its cause.

I made this particular brew (my second) with a friend who is quite experienced in brewing and who introduced me to the hobby. We attempted to brew a pils using Pilsner, Vienna and Carabody malts together with Magnum and Saaz hops. There isn't anything too distinguishable about the recipe.

The yeast we used was one packet of US-05 (11.5g). The beer fermented in primary for two weeks at a temperature of about 21C, after which it was bottled. We both tasted the beer before bottling and the taste was very very promising with no hint of any off-flavours, we were expecting a beer with a recognizable pils profile. However, something awful happened or had happened at some point and the beer turned out bad.

The flavour off the finished product (several weeks in bottles) is very distinct. I'm not an expert in describing it, however, it reminds of a chemical - a somewhat acidic - flavour. The smell already gives a hint of the strong chemical flavour. The beer is not utterly undrinkable, but very off-putting.

According to my friend the flavour is acetaldehyde caused by too little yeast (OG: 1059, FG: 1009). I accepted the analysis, but wanted to ask your opinion. Is it possible indeed that the acetaldehyde flavour would come after bottling and not be present at all prior to this?

Many thanks!

Is it possible indeed that the acetaldehyde flavour would come after bottling and not be present at all prior to this?

It's possible. Ethanol (the main alcohol in beer) can be oxidized, transforming it into acetaldehyde.

If it is reminiscent of green apple, you've got acetaldehyde. Way more likely to be oxidation/infection than an under-pitch.

Back