Identifing Crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatITGuy

Reaction score
I just purchased a pound of Crystal malt from my LHBS but I was in a rush and didn't check the grain bag to see which type of Crystal malt it was. Initially I asked for Crystal 40 or 60. The store owner is an old fellow, and he uses the same type of malt all the time so he couldn't remember what it was.

I know it's from Candian Malting Co. And the only thing I saw on the bag was C-56.

Just wondering if any of the pros on here can tell just by looking at my pictures..
IMG_20180210_104912.jpg
IMG_20180210_104903.jpg

Yep, seems they don't produce crystal nowadays, but they are part of the same consortium as Great Western Malting that has several crystals. It is hard to say how dark the wort will be but I think it is definitely not light crystal (< EBC 100). My Crisp (~EBC 150) looks quite similar when crushed, but corresponding Fawcett malts do not look that dark. The picture reminds me of Fawcett Dark Crystal EBC 225 (80-90L / 110-120SRM) more than EBC 150 version (50-60L / 70-80 SRM). So either medium or dark crystal.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. It's going to be used in a nut brown ale recipe, mini mash.

I also noticed it was nowhere to be found on CMC product list. Now that I have a rough idea of what it is I'm off to check it out in beersmith!

Back