Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luis.salas

Reaction score
Hi, I made my first 100% beer, a Farmhouse ale inspired in this recipe. I'm planning to bottle next week, so I'll have a nice yeast cake fresh to use (I know there are discussions about this, but I've done it many times always succesfully).

I guess the brett strain is B. claussenii, due to the strong pineapple profile of the beer. I made it with bottle dregs that were scaled up to have enough to ferment a 3 gallons batch, so I can't be absolutely sure of this.

Now: what to brew next? I know this is a quite stupid question, because the answer could be simple: whatever you want! But I'm quite lost in the brett world (in the brewing world, indeed, because I'm a newbie) so I would appreciate any counsel or idea. Thanks!

How are you concluding that it's B. Claussenii, is that what you pitched? Regardless, a pineappley strain goes great with a berlinerweisse, you could even kettle sour it to your desired acidity then drop it on the brett cake.

How are you concluding that it's B. Claussenii, is that what you pitched? Regardless, a pineappley strain goes great with a berlinerweisse, you could even kettle sour it to your desired acidity then drop it on the brett cake.

Not sure at all, just guessing. I like the idea of a berliner. Thanks!

How about this
Brett IPA.JPG

How about this

Maybe I'm just biased against brewdog, but I'm scratching my head at a brett recipe that uses 6 different hops and incorrectly calculates a drop from 1.058 to 1.004 = a hair over 7% ABV. Not sure what a scottish sour is but I bet it would make a pretty good hazy brett IPA (hard to go wrong with simcoe, citra and mosaic)

I have had a few bottles and I don't remember it being sour. Beer was interesting though.
Have made a few 100% Bretton beers but all have been soured. Going to try something without next time.

Maybe I'm just biased against brewdog, but I'm scratching my head at a brett recipe that uses 6 different hops and incorrectly calculates a drop from 1.058 to 1.004 = a hair over 7% ABV. Not sure what a scottish sour is but I bet it would make a pretty good hazy brett IPA (hard to go wrong with simcoe, citra and mosaic)
Could be a typo for 1.014 FG -- that'd give you 5.8%. ⁉️⁉️🤷‍♂️

Could be a typo for 1.014 FG -- that'd give you 5.8%. ⁉⁉🤷‍♂️

Possibly, but it's mashed at 149F and includes Brett. So whether you jot it into the recipe or not the beer is gonna end up at 1.004 ...

It's very likely that if you scaled up from bottle dregs that there is Saccharomyces in the mix, and possibly not B. claussenii. It's rumored that that strain will not ferment out on its own, but I've never tried it. Those that claim they have usually have used the WLP strain during those times that White Labs was bad about getting Sacch in their wild/bacteria cultures.

I could well be wrong about all this. Still, I am not a fan of IPAs, but there's something about a Brett IPA that really appeals to me!

Back