Ideas for saison yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I just made a Saison with White Labs 568- Saison yeast blend. I want to reuse the yeast, and am wondering what other options I have. Here are some of my ideas-

• Belgian Stout
  • Black Saison
  • Blueberry Saison
  • Mango Saison
  • Belgian Blonde

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I use the 568 too and I love it!

There have been some interesting commercial black saisons out recently that are pretty good. I would put my vote in for that. The only thing is be careful on the dark malts. Even though saison yeast is known for it's intense flavors, they are easily overshadowed by the dark grains. So I would recommend some de-bittered black.

Otherwise, I have always wanted to try a belgian stout.

KyleWolf- I really like the idea of a Honey Rye Saison. How did that turn out? Feel like sharing the recipe?

7.00 lb Pilsner
2.50 lb Rye Malt
1.00 lb Carared
1.00 lb Munich
0.50 lb Flaked Rye
0.25 lb Aromatic

0.35oz Columbus 90min 18IBU
1.00oz Northern Brewer 15min 13.2IBU
1.00oz Saaz 5min 2.5IBU

1lb Orange Blossom Honey at the end of boil (next time I will add it halfway through primary).

WLP578 Belgian Saison Ale Style Blend.

SG 1.064
FG 1.011-1.009
Mashed at 148

Color? Bright gold/burnt orange with hints of copper-red when the light hits. Perhaps almost too clear for a saison. Very little to no hop flavor, if there is, it is lost in the spice of the yeast and rye. I am a big fan of it and it is one of my top 5 favorite brews of mine.

That looks great. I think a rye saison may be just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

WY 3711 is the best saison yeast out there. Since it became a year round strain it is the most discussed yeast on HBT. There are a few active threads that have 10+ pages each.

I plan to do a few saisons this summer. Thanks for your recipe, it might end up in my rotation.

My current thought is a black rye saison.

Here's my recipe so far-

Original Gravity: 1.062 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 21.94 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 6.14% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 29.4 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
5 oz Rice Hulls
8 lb Pilsner Malt
3.5 lb Rye Malt
4 oz Acidulated Malt
.5 lb Carafa® TYPE III
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 lb Light Brown Sugar

Thoughts?

what's your mash temp? I would go in the mid- to upper 140's (147-148 for 90mins).

I'll probably start around 148, and I usually drop a couple degrees. I mash really thin (BIAB), so I've been able to get away with mashing that low for only 60 minutes.

In general with the recipe, I'm trying to figure out how roasty I want to go. The fear is making it too roasty, so that it conflicts with the spicy yeast.

I also wanted a bit of the sour from the acid malt, and am wondering how that will work.

I think it acid malt should work fine. Can't say what the exact outcome is, but a bit of sour funk on this saison wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah, I'm thinking that sour can go with stouts, and sour can go with saisons, so why can't sour go with a combination of the two?

Back