Ideas for over carbonated bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elielilang

Reaction score
I have 2 casses of incredibly delicious, hoppy pale ale in bottles. The bottles are over carbonated.

The problem for me is that when I open a bottle, bubbles form at the bottom of the beer and big chunks of the yeast on the bottom get distributed though the beer, making it taste yeasty.

you may ask:

How over carbonated is it?
Its not a full gusher, but when cold bottle from the fridge is opened a foam tower appears out of the open bottle mouth and drip down over the side for around 2 min or untill about 1/8th of the beer is in the sink.

I have tried:
Opening a bottle and letting it sit = yeasty beer
Opening a bottle and pouring in into a big glass quickly to avoid yeast = big glass of foam and eventually flat beer.
Getting a bottle very cold = frozen beer.

My next set of ideas:
1) slightly open each bottle, let the yeast go crazy and then let the bottles rest for a week and resettle.
2) just wait for a month until the yeast cake is more compacted.
3) drink yeasty beer...

Any thoughts on these ideas or other solutions would be appreciated.

Put a quarter on top of the cap. Open the cap carefully, let the excess CO2 out, then re-cap it again. Repeat if needed.

Yep, crack the cap, and recap. At least I've heard that. No experience.

I had that problem a few months ago. I gently un-did the cap and let the beer sit with the caps loosely sitting on the bottle mouth. I let them release carbonation for 20 minutes. I then re-capped them. Worked great. Now that same beer is nicely carbonated months later.

NRS

Cover the bottles with crushed ice in a tub. Add just enough water to fill the voids and make a slush. Allow to chill for an hour or so. The beer will get as cold as your're going to get it without freezing it. Then, as others have suggested, pop the caps. Recap the bottles when any foaming has slowed but before it stops completely. Store them away for a while so they can settle.

I’ve never tried this, but I wonder if you could open the bottles enough to vent and wait for it to go completely flat. Then add priming sugar to each bottle, recap, and wait another three weeks for it to carbonate. The sugar can make it foam up, so you might have to add it gradually.

Back