Ideas for a winter beer to brew when it's hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorneuron

Reaction score
Similar to this thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/temperature-insensitive-brews-brewing-season-399536/), I'm looking for beers that I can brew during the summer. But I want dark/winter beers that I can ferment while it's hot, but that will benefit from a few months in storage so that I can consume them in the fall/winter. (I am already planning to do saisons and other Belgians for more short-term consumption.)

So does anyone know of a dark beer type, or at least a "Christmasy" beer type, or anything else that seems winter-appropriate, that would be compatible with mid-70s to low 80s fermentation temperatures?

In general, I was thinking that the yeasts used successfully at fairly high temperatures tend to be Belgian or English. So here are some ideas I have been thinking about:

*imperial stout brewed with an alcohol-tolerant English ale yeast--extra fruity ester character from high fermentation temperatures could work well in this setting, and conditioning would be helpful
*some kind of fruity porter brewed with English ale yeast; again, extra esters would be fine with raspberries or stone fruit
*a "Poorter," i.e. a very dark Belgian
*a Christmas-spiced strong Belgian that could benefit from a few months of conditioning to have its flavors settle
*a barleywine-strength witbier (with some sugar in the grain bill to make sure the beer isn't just ludicrously thick) fermented using trappist yeast
*other barleywines--seems like an English yeast could be okay at 75-80F, with high temperatures aiding attenuation and a few months to round out flavors

I was also wondering how it would be to just take normal recipes but "Belgianize" them. E.g. take a normal American IPA recipe, but use Belgian yeast--similar to Stone's Cali-Belgique. Another idea would be to do this with a very dark beer. I am really fascinated by the idea of a Belgian wheat stout. In fact that sounds amazing to me right now.

But anyone have any actual experience on this? It would be helpful to hear from those who know! Thanks.

I'm planning a big stout. Maybe 27% abv. Or 12% lol. Something to warm me up during the cold months.

Everyone always gives the advice that Belgians can be fermented hot. This is not fully true. You do need to keep the temps down for the first few days or you WILL get fusels. If you get them too hot too fast you might as well call NASA and ask them if they want some rocket fuel.

If you have mid 70's to low 80's ambient temps the brew can get as high as. 10 degrees or even more over those temps. Look up swamp cooler so you can control the temps for the first few days and you can then let them increase in temp. But just lettting them ramp up at the begining is not good.

I'm planning a big stout. Maybe 27% abv. Or 12% lol. Something to warm me up during the cold months.

Good luck! last winter I brewed a stout with a abv of 19%. Bulk aged it for 13 months and it came out great. I assume your using the White labs super high gravity? I finished mine with ec-1118 but wish I had used the white labs.

Good luck! last winter I brewed a stout with a abv of 19%. Bulk aged it for 13 months and it came out great. I assume your using the White labs super high gravity? I finished mine with ec-1118 but wish I had used the white labs.

Research hasn't started yet. Isn't it still winter? LOL

Make an imperial saison that is crisp but warming for a winter day.

Hardy Ale was started in the 60s and allowed to warm up into the upper 70s (was it as high as the 80s?), so you might look into that. As was just mentioned, I'd always use something to control temps in the first few days. I just brewed a high gravity old ale on saturday for this exact same purpose - I'll be cracking the first bottles in December.

A few of Mosher's Twelve Beers of Christmas are made with Belgian yeast strains. As stated above, even though you can finish these strains in the 70s, you will still want to cool your wort to the mid 60s and swamp cool for a few days.

This article is serving as my inspiration for future brews. There are breweries making seasonal Saisons, including winter versions. It might be worth reading through to see how someone else has attempted to adapt other beer styles to Saison yeast.

I should make clear that I will still pitch relatively cool (say, mid to high 60s) and am totally capable of using a swamp cooler to keep the temperatures lower. I was just looking for beers for which I can take advantage of the higher ambient temperatures--like many Belgians, for which I understand a free rise into the low 80s is not a problem.

Back